Re: Robert Mulligan (1925-2008)

  • Richard Modiano
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 22, 2008
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@...>
      wrote:

      >"...As his filmography shows, he had great range, well-regarded for
      > subjects which required some real sensitivity and delicate insight
      > into sometimes difficult emotions (and for characters of all ages,
      > not only youthful ones), and able to penetrate their subjective
      > worlds in his supple mise-en-scene, but also having a gift for
      > comedies, generally with serious currents but often funny, graceful
      > and charming, and he seemed always glad to be able to do those kinds
      of movies...."

      You've summed Mulligan's virtues very well Blake. To the films you
      mentioned let me add THE OTHER where Uta Hagen gave a fine performance.
      John Belton discusses THE OTHER in a very good essay he wrote about
      Mulligan published at www.thefilmjournal.com, part of a larger overview
      of Mulligan's career edited by Peter Toungette.

      Richard
    • Bilge Ebiri
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 26, 2008

        > Despite the book's title, Sarris actually set its scope to cover all
        > English-language cinema. So Lean is totally eligible.

        As is Leone.