Re: Henry King as actor-writer on DVD

  • Michael E. Grost
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
      The official name of the DVD set is:
      Treasures III: Social Issues in American Film, 1900–1934

      and its web site is:
      http://www.filmpreservation.org/projects/treasures3.html

      The 4 DVDs in the set are full of outstanding films.
      They have first rate comments, mainly by academics, that are loaded
      with historical detail. These help me a lot, to understand what I am
      seeing. There are both printed comments as DVD extras, and commentary
      tracks. I've been watching the films twice, once with and without
      commentary. This makes for slow going, but often for a very rich
      experience.

      I agree with Tony Williams: film history is full of little known
      films, that are in contradiction to today's rotten far-right ethos. We
      need to recover a liberal tradition, at all levels!

      Parts of King's "Toil and Tyranny" (1915) remind one of a pulp mystery
      thriller, Hugh MacNair Kahler's novella "Queer Coin" (1920). The hero
      of "Queer Coin" is a workingman who broke his arm while on company
      business, was promptly fired as he was unable to work, received no
      compensation from his company, was forced to live off his meager
      savings to survive, and who is slowly starving to death as the story
      opens.

      Mike Grost