Re: This year's Palm D'or winner -- deservedly so

  • Michal Oleszczyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      Rick,

      I couldn't agree with you more: I was absolutely stunned by the movie,
      and I consider it THE best effort to convey the deep evil of Communism
      I've ever seen in cinema. I talked to Mungiu about some of these
      issues in an interview you can find in post 46350, as well as about
      his mise-en-scene, which is absolutely extrarordinary.

      The dinner sequence is amazingly effective, but I also liked the slow
      build-up of small petty hostility (it reaches its high-point with Mr.
      Bebe), that is so evocative for anyone who has lived in a Communist
      country (or lives in a post-Communist one, for that matter, because
      the mentality is still there). The conversation with the hotel clerk,
      which immediately turns into a painstaking power struggle of one
      person over another, complete with perverse pleasure the clerk takes
      in humiliating the guest -- speaks volumes about what the system did
      to people who didn't even have to embrace it to be influenced by it.

      M.