The penultimate scene in KING OF KINGS?

  • peckinpah20012000
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007
      I watched this film for the first time last night and was impressed by
      Ray's attempt to demythologize the divine being as well as placing him
      within an historical context that the late professor SG.F. Brandon
      (1907-1971) did in his Fall of Jerusalem and the Christian Church
      (which I think, first appeared in 1959) and his Jesus and the Zealots
      (1967) - which this gentle, learned man (who hoped the Church would
      defrock but nobody had the heart to do it) - found to his dismay that
      contemporary black American liberation groups loved the book.

      I have one question. Since Eiseschitz and others have written about
      the post production problems affecting the film, was the scene where
      Mary Madgalene recognizes Jesus in mid-shot filmed by another director.
      The long shot introducing this scene continues the film's ambiguous
      treatment of the Messiah so I'm wondering whether this show was put in
      to appease the Bible Belt. The final shadow image at the end leaves
      things so positively open and avoids the reductive treatments contained
      in most cinematic treatemnts.

      Tony W.