"It was boring and I couldn't relate." (was: Re: Raoul Walsh)

  • Michael Worrall
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 15, 2006
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "jpcoursodon" <jpcoursodon@...>
      wrote:

      I consider myself a fairly ordinary film viewer, but I have never
      > expected film to be the purveyor of wish fulfilment. I never
      > expected a movie to fulfil any wish I might have. I never went to a
      > movie with any kind of "wish' that might somehow be "fulfilled" by
      > the experience of watching the movie. I don't even comprehend the
      > concept of wish fulfilment. I can't believe that I am a freak
      > exception and everybody else goes to movies for fulfilling some
      > wishes. Maybe I'm in denial... JPC

      I wish there were more "fairly ordinary" film viewers like you, JP.
      I do not mean to suggest that wishes are actually fufilled in film,
      but that the visual represenations and acting out of fantasies and
      desires that some viewers have and bring with them to the cinema
      validates or reassures them. ( The James Bond films can be seen as
      franchise dedicated to the represenation of certain masculine ideals
      and desires. )

      > "People"? I don't know. That's definitely not what I
      > find "entertaining" about film.

      Yes, my use of "people" is very broad and I am more than guilty of
      not taking the time out to be more careful in my wording. I did not
      mean to assign all viewers my definiton of entertainment.

      Michael Worrall
    • Michael Worrall
      Message 75 of 75 , Dec 15, 2006