Re: Auteurism and collaboration (Was: Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy)

  • C.P. Czarnecki
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 2, 2006
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, David Ehrenstein <cellar47@...> wrote:

      > I've got that laser. I'll see what I can do about
      > copying it as a DVD-R.

      Oh that would be so very great! Thanks in advance!
    • Richard Modiano
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Marc Raymond <mraymond_1918@...>
        wrote:

        "For deatils on Mixoguchi's shooting methods, see Bordwell's chapter
        in FIGURES TRACED IN LIGHT."

        What are Bordwell's sources? I ask because he's made some factual and
        descriptive errors about Mizoguchi before. A lot of English-language
        writing about Mizoguchi is based on second hand information (and this
        is true of other Japanese filmmakers too.) The Kyoto Municipal Museum
        of Art's Cinema Dept. his production files on some of Mizoguchi's
        pictures as well as annotated scripts. It also has the manuscript of
        his death poem.

        By the way, at Pacific Film Archives in Berekeley there's a manuscript
        of an anthology of writings about and by and interviews with Japanese
        filmmakers that was gathered and translated by Leonard Schrader. I
        heard that it was supposed to have been published sometime in the
        1970s but nothing came of it.

        Richard