Re: Barry Lyndon

  • jpcoursodon
    Message 1 of 77 , Aug 22, 2006
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@...>
      wrote:

      ,> I resolved long ago not to write in any Kubrick thread in a_film_by.

      Well, Blake, you just did, and whatever moved you to it, good for
      you! I don't hate SK as much as you do, and I even grew to like "Barry
      Lyndon" a lot (that was one of the points in my lost post) but by and
      large I sympathize with your distaste (agree totally about CLOCKWORK).

      Blake, maybe you should listen to Tal's "This Is Always" to cool you
      down (private joke, sorry!)

      JPC

    • Brian Charles Dauth
      Message 77 of 77 , Aug 28, 2006
        Dan writes:

        > One can make observations with the goal of having others recognize them.

        Agreed. I think I can recognize why people might view Kubrick as aloof. I
        just do not feel that way myself.

        > But is it a different movie because we have different experiences?

        I think so, yes. The art product has not changed, but the art work (which
        comes into existence when I view the art product) is going to change as my
        store of experiences changes.

        > usually feel a film as something solid, around which I might behave as a
        > fluid....

        For me, I would say that the art product is a solid around which I have a
        fluid aesthetic experience. The experience "thickens" and gains texture as
        what I bring to the viewing increases in experience, nuance and subtlety.

        > If I hate a moment in Kubrick, but like a similar moment in, say, Alan
        > Clarke or Todd Haynes, and if I can't detect any substantial difference in
        > the construction of the moment, then I need to consider the
        possibility that I'm being prejudiced.

        You are very clear here, and I see that my block has to do with the fact
        that I do not think I can say that I have ever felt that a moment in
        director X's movie was similar to one in such-and-such movie by director Y.
        I need to think more about this.

        Brian