Re:[a_film_by] Re: Cahiers: The Outstanding Films of the Decade (1970-1980)

  • filipefurtado
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 31, 2003
      and he
      > proudly writes of Kael and her acolytes, that they "were not
      the only
      > ones pushing Scorsese, Coppola, Altman, Spielberg, and the r
      est, but
      > we did it early, and we helped a group of directors make the
      ir way."
      > (I don't seem to recall them pushing Altman's Countdown.)

      On the other hand, they didn't help at all many veterans who
      were doing some of their best work at time (not to mention
      there lack of interest in people like Hellman or Cassavetes).
      I once start an article on Robert Aldrich's 70's work, but
      drop it when it start to become more an attack on the
      official 70's canon.

      > As Denby points out, she ignored Fassbinder.

      Actually she ignored a lot of people (from Monte Hellman to
      Straub).

      Filipe

      ---
      AntiPop-up UOL - É grátis!
      http://antipopup.uol.com.br
    • hotlove666
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 6, 2005
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, David Ehrenstein <cellar47@y...>
        wrote:

        > He hasn't made anything worth sitting through since
        > "Bullets Over Broadway"

        I recently saw and loved Mighty Aphrodite, made after Bullets. But
        then came the falling-off, as it always does after the first bloom of
        love is of the rose.