Re: Godard/Powell

  • peckinpah20012000
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, David Ehrenstein <cellar47@y...>
      wrote:

      > Now that'sfascinating. I worry about Terence. He's
      > such a dear, sad man. And a great, great artist.
      > "The Long Day Closes" is my favorite.
      >
      > There is a very good monograph about him which came out a few
      years ago in Britain. Terence has been trying to raise money for a
      film version of SUNSET SONG by Lewis Crassic Gibbon, which was
      serialized on BBC TV some 20 years ago with Vivien Heilbron (sister
      of Laura of THE CREEPING FLESH) as the heroine. However, the author
      of this very interesting study emailed me with the sad news that
      Terence has been unable to generate either interest or money in
      Blair's "septic isle."

      Yes, David. You are absolutely correct. He is both a "dear..man"
      and "a great, great artist", one of the few Britain has turned out
      since Michael Powell and Derek Jarman.

      Tony Williams
    • David Ehrenstein
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- peckinpah20012000 <peckinpah20012000@...>
        wrote:

        > Yes, David. You are absolutely correct. He is both
        > a "dear..man"
        > and "a great, great artist", one of the few Britain
        > has turned out
        > since Michael Powell and Derek Jarman.

        Terence also had an original proect idea with the
        working title of "Vile Bodies" (though it had nothing
        to do with Waugh.) It's about a man whofalls in love
        with a man he spies from his office window and knows
        nothing about. What he learns, naturally, brings him
        to grief.

        Have you read Terence's novel "Hallelujah Now" ? He
        longs for a serious relationship but hasn't been able
        to have one. In this he's a lot like Lindsay Anderson
        -- but tons more pessimistic.

        I greatly approve of his use of the trio from "Cosi"
        (a nearyl sacred piece of music to me, for many deeply
        personal reasons) in "The House of Mirth"

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • hotlove666
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
          --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Takagi <jtakagi@g...> wrote:

          > Doesn't Vincent Ostria write for Les Inrocks now? I recall seeing his
          name
          > over there,
          > though he doesn't always get the most space.

          Sounds like him! Maybe he left with Lalanne. Anyway, he just likes what
          he likes and doesn't follow any line. He's worth reading. He looks a
          bit like Dan, but with a smaller head.
        • Samuel Bréan
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
            He also writes in the French Communist daily "L'Humanité."