Re: [a_film_by] Re: Godard/Powell

  • Jonathan Takagi
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
      Doesn't Vincent Ostria write for Les Inrocks now? I recall seeing his name
      over there,
      though he doesn't always get the most space.
      Jonathan Takagi

      On 11/2/05, hotlove666 <hotlove666@...> wrote:

      > He also said it to CdC in the interview re: Notre Musique. Actually, I
      > think
      > Vincent Ostria wrote a good review of DVSL in CdC, but he has always been
      > an odd man out. Now he just seems to be out. Too bad - he has superb
      > taste.

    • peckinpah20012000
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, David Ehrenstein <cellar47@y...>
        wrote:

        > Now that'sfascinating. I worry about Terence. He's
        > such a dear, sad man. And a great, great artist.
        > "The Long Day Closes" is my favorite.
        >
        > There is a very good monograph about him which came out a few
        years ago in Britain. Terence has been trying to raise money for a
        film version of SUNSET SONG by Lewis Crassic Gibbon, which was
        serialized on BBC TV some 20 years ago with Vivien Heilbron (sister
        of Laura of THE CREEPING FLESH) as the heroine. However, the author
        of this very interesting study emailed me with the sad news that
        Terence has been unable to generate either interest or money in
        Blair's "septic isle."

        Yes, David. You are absolutely correct. He is both a "dear..man"
        and "a great, great artist", one of the few Britain has turned out
        since Michael Powell and Derek Jarman.

        Tony Williams
      • David Ehrenstein
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
          --- peckinpah20012000 <peckinpah20012000@...>
          wrote:

          > Yes, David. You are absolutely correct. He is both
          > a "dear..man"
          > and "a great, great artist", one of the few Britain
          > has turned out
          > since Michael Powell and Derek Jarman.

          Terence also had an original proect idea with the
          working title of "Vile Bodies" (though it had nothing
          to do with Waugh.) It's about a man whofalls in love
          with a man he spies from his office window and knows
          nothing about. What he learns, naturally, brings him
          to grief.

          Have you read Terence's novel "Hallelujah Now" ? He
          longs for a serious relationship but hasn't been able
          to have one. In this he's a lot like Lindsay Anderson
          -- but tons more pessimistic.

          I greatly approve of his use of the trio from "Cosi"
          (a nearyl sacred piece of music to me, for many deeply
          personal reasons) in "The House of Mirth"

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • hotlove666
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Takagi <jtakagi@g...> wrote:

            > Doesn't Vincent Ostria write for Les Inrocks now? I recall seeing his
            name
            > over there,
            > though he doesn't always get the most space.

            Sounds like him! Maybe he left with Lalanne. Anyway, he just likes what
            he likes and doesn't follow any line. He's worth reading. He looks a
            bit like Dan, but with a smaller head.
          • Samuel Bréan
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
              He also writes in the French Communist daily "L'Humanité."