Re: Posthumous-period Preminger?

  • jess_l_amortell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2003
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, ptonguette@a... wrote:
      > Okay, I can't resist a little self-parody as a way to begin my tenure on the
      > new group.
      >
      > How do people feel about posthumous-period Preminger? That is, his work
      > after "The Human Factor"? I hear it's hard to come by...

      It's not exactly posthumous Preminger (and it considerably precedes THE HUMAN FACTOR), but it's Preminger that I never knew existed, while he was alive: A few years ago the Museum of Television and Radio screened a kinescope of a live TV show he directed in the early '50s: a trio of playlets by Noel (BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING) Coward, called I think "Tonight at 8:30," all starring Ginger Rogers in a stylistic tour de force (one play features her in a comic music hall performance, another is the source of BRIEF ENCOUNTER). I didn't succeed in seeing it as particularly Premingerian (in a listing I found via Google, a co-director is credited), though certainly effective (it must have been all they could handle just to get these things on and off air on time) but the point is that it exists, and is presumably in the museum's viewing collections in New York and LA. Did he do any others? One of these days I'll find my copy of that Pratley book...
    • ptonguette@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2003
        In a message dated 6/15/03 9:02:06 PM, monterone@... writes:

        >few years ago the Museum of Television and Radio screened a kinescope of
        >a live TV show he directed in the early '50s: a trio of playlets by Noel
        >(BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING) Coward, called I think "Tonight at 8:30," all
        starring
        >Ginger Rogers in a stylistic tour de force (one play features her in a
        >comic music hall performance, another is the source of BRIEF ENCOUNTER).

        I hadn't a clue about the existence of these - thanks for the information.
        The only other "unknown" Preminger (though it isn't really; I just mean that I
        don't believe too many have seen it in the States) that I can think of is the
        German version of "The Moon Is Blue," with a completely different cast. I saw
        some clips in the documentary "Preminger: Anatomy of a Filmmaker." The
        American and German versions were shot simultaneously, so I would imagine that they
        are virtual replicas of themselves apart from the actors and, obviously,
        language.

        Peter

        http://hometown.aol.com/ptonguette/index.html