Re: Wenders (Was: Twentynine palms)

  • MG4273@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      In a message dated 05-06-02 12:53:43 EDT, Dan Sallitt writes:

      << For some reason I had a hideous time with WINGS OF DESIRE, and left the
      theater muttering obscenities under my breath. Now I can't remember it at
      all. >>

      The first half of "Wings of Desire" (Wim Wenders) consists largely of the
      actors standing around, while psychobabble runs through their heads. The sort of
      Psychoanalysis 101 jargon that might be mouthed at a 1970's Encounter Group.
      It is really, really annoying, to people (such as myself) who do not like this
      sort of thing. I bailed at this point and stopped watching. Couldn't find any
      visual style, at all.
      This has got to be one of my most disappointing experiences ever with what is
      often cited as a "great classic" of film.

      Mike Grost
    • iangjohnston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, MG4273@a... wrote:
        s:

        > > The first half of "Wings of Desire" (Wim Wenders) consists
        largely of the
        > actors standing around, while psychobabble runs through their
        heads. The sort of
        > Psychoanalysis 101 jargon that might be mouthed at a 1970's
        Encounter Group.
        > It is really, really annoying, to people (such as myself) who do
        not like this
        > sort of thing. I bailed at this point and stopped watching.
        Couldn't find any
        > visual style, at all.
        > This has got to be one of my most disappointing experiences ever
        with what is
        > often cited as a "great classic" of film.
        >
        > Mike Grost

        All I can say is that the "psychobabble" -- courtesy of Peter Handke
        and Bruno Ganz -- sounds great in German. "Als das Kind Kind war..."
        I love the sound of it every time I hear it start up.

        I thought the problem with the non-believers was that it had too
        much "visual style", rather than none at all?

        Ian