Re: [a_film_by] Wenders (Was: Twentynine palms)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      >> Except for the
      >> TOKYO-GA documentary, I
      >> don't think I've liked anything by Wenders since
      >> 1982.
      >
      > Wel I quite love "Wings of Desire."

      For some reason I had a hideous time with WINGS OF DESIRE, and left the
      theater muttering obscenities under my breath. Now I can't remember it at
      all. - Dan
    • MG4273@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        In a message dated 05-06-02 12:53:43 EDT, Dan Sallitt writes:

        << For some reason I had a hideous time with WINGS OF DESIRE, and left the
        theater muttering obscenities under my breath. Now I can't remember it at
        all. >>

        The first half of "Wings of Desire" (Wim Wenders) consists largely of the
        actors standing around, while psychobabble runs through their heads. The sort of
        Psychoanalysis 101 jargon that might be mouthed at a 1970's Encounter Group.
        It is really, really annoying, to people (such as myself) who do not like this
        sort of thing. I bailed at this point and stopped watching. Couldn't find any
        visual style, at all.
        This has got to be one of my most disappointing experiences ever with what is
        often cited as a "great classic" of film.

        Mike Grost
      • iangjohnston
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, MG4273@a... wrote:
          s:

          > > The first half of "Wings of Desire" (Wim Wenders) consists
          largely of the
          > actors standing around, while psychobabble runs through their
          heads. The sort of
          > Psychoanalysis 101 jargon that might be mouthed at a 1970's
          Encounter Group.
          > It is really, really annoying, to people (such as myself) who do
          not like this
          > sort of thing. I bailed at this point and stopped watching.
          Couldn't find any
          > visual style, at all.
          > This has got to be one of my most disappointing experiences ever
          with what is
          > often cited as a "great classic" of film.
          >
          > Mike Grost

          All I can say is that the "psychobabble" -- courtesy of Peter Handke
          and Bruno Ganz -- sounds great in German. "Als das Kind Kind war..."
          I love the sound of it every time I hear it start up.

          I thought the problem with the non-believers was that it had too
          much "visual style", rather than none at all?

          Ian