Re: [a_film_by] Re: Words and shots (Was: A thought about BLACK NARCISSUS)

  • David Ehrenstein
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 2, 2005
      --- hotlove666 <hotlove666@...> wrote:

      > Of course - I need to brush up my Shakespeare.

      (That's my cue!)

      The girls today in society
      Go for classical poetry,
      So to win their hearts one must quote with ease
      Aeschylus and Euripides.
      But the poet of them all
      Who will start 'em simply ravin'
      Is the poet people call
      The bard of Stratford-on-Avon.

      Brush up your Shakespeare,
      Start quoting him now.
      Brush up your Shakespeare
      And the women you will wow.
      Just declaim a few lines from "Othella"
      And they think you're a helluva fella.
      If your blonde won't respond when you flatter 'er
      Tell her what Tony told Cleopaterer,
      And if still, to be shocked, she pretends well,
      Just remind her that "All's Well That Ends Well."
      Brush up your Shakespeare
      And they'll all kowtow.

      Brush up your Shakespeare,
      Start quoting him now.
      Brush up your Shakespeare
      And the women you will wow.
      If your goil is a Washington Heights dream
      Treat the kid to "A Midsummer Night Dream."
      If she fights when her clothes you are mussing,
      What are clothes? "Much Ado About Nussing."
      If she says your behavior is heinous
      Kick her right in the "Coriolanus."
      Brush up your Shakespeare
      And they'll all kowtow.

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
    • hotlove666
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 5, 2005
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Keser" <rfkeser@i...> wrote:
        > <hotlove666@y...> wrote:

        > But how does this relate to Hitchcock, apart from sharing the goal
        > of inducing anxiety? Thinking literally, I can't recall any such
        > object + gesture shots in Hitchcock.
        >
        > --Robert Keser

        Certainly not of the kind Truffaut used, but Hitchcock always used
        inserts as part of his suspense curves - lighters, keys - and
        Truffaut does too, especially at the beginning, when the guy is
        racing to the airport. As I recall, time pieces get into the act as
        well. But I completely agree that the plethora of inserts calls
        attention to itself and to features of the modern world, which as far
        as I know is a new point about that film. Again, because for me every
        Truffaut film corresponds to a Godard film, look at A Married Woman
        for a stylistically different atempt at "French Antonioni."

        The other Hitchcockian element in Soft Skin is all the cutting on
        looks, which he had used for some of Antoine et Colette, but not the
        whole movie. Here it's the whole movie, and the looks are pretty
        neutral throughout, a la Hitchcock.

        Reportedly, this is the one Truffaut script - writen in an unusual 20-
        day spurt - that already contains the decoupage as it appears on
        screen, with no room for writing scenes the night before, as was his
        custom.

        I think your point about the inserts raises something interesting
        about Truffaut's "Hitchcockism": However immensely he admired
        Hitchcock, the Hitchcock style stands for something in a Truffaut
        film that it doesn't in a Hitchcock film. Hitchcock style in
        Fahrenheit 451 stands for authoritarian mind-control, for example.