Re: Sword of Doom

  • Richard Modiano
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Noel Vera" <noelbotevera@y...>
      wrote:

      "Okay, I remember now--Geoffrey O'Brien's essay for the Criterion
      Collection. Also mentions that Ryunosuke goes on as a blind man who
      switches sides."

      I didn't read the novel, but in the Ichikawa version he does live and
      has only one eye. My bad memory combined the plots.

      The Shinsengumi were pledged to defend the Shogun (the old regime)so
      they were reactionaries, and when Ryunosuke changed sides he had his
      shot at redemption.

      Okamoto made an entire movie about the Sakurada Gate Incident
      mentioned
      in the title card with Mifune,"Samurai"/"Samurai Assasin." It's one
      of
      his best and quite bleak. And in a movie titled "Shinsengumi" Mifune
      plays Kondo.

      "...I should have said Ryunosuke had a standing in the community and
      his life started to go to hell after the match/duel."

      His life started to go to hell when he deviated from the rules of his
      fencing school in order to become invincible (the scene with his
      ailing
      father.) He lost his social standing when he defied the judges after
      the match/duel.

      Paul Schrader was much enamoured of the Uchida version and recycled
      the
      ending in "Taxi Driver," "Rolling Thunder," "The Yakuza" and
      "Hardcore."

      Richard