[a_film_by] Jean Renoir - Pantheon or Fringe Benefit?

  • LiLiPUT1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 132 , May 10 2:52 PM
      So why exactly is Jean Renoir in The Pantheon and not Fringe Benefits? If
      there were a World Cinema version of The American Cinema, he would undoubtedly
      belong. But his American output was rather small, no? And even Sarris eventually
      makes the claim that Renoir's multiple viewpoint remained intact after his
      stint in Hollywood.

      And come to think of it, why exactly is Eisenstein in Fringe Benefits even?

      Kevin John

    • Michael E. Kerpan, Jr.
      Message 132 of 132 , Jun 2, 2005
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Dan Sallitt <sallitt@p...> wrote:

        > > I don't think it's possible
        > > to love the movies -- or even "The Cinema" -- and not to enjoy that
        > > kind of stuff.

        {Dan's comment starts here}

        > I'm afraid I must stand up as an exception to this rule.... If a movie
        > doesn't set off my art detector, I'm generally not too interested.
        Maybe
        > this is because I wasn't a movie-loving child.

        I'd hate to think that there was some sort of litmus test for "true
        movie lovers". There are LOTS of types of films I either dislike or
        have little interest in. And I can even believe that someone who has
        no affinity for Ozu can still be a movie lover (depending on their
        other likes and dislikes) -- though I would be perplexed (and would
        grieve a bit).