Unfinished Welles (Was: Re: April Criterions)

  • Tom Sutpen
    Message 1 of 67 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "hotlove666" <hotlove666@y...> wrote:

      > I've seen a rough-cut of The Deep that is just crying to be finished
      > and shown to audiences.

      *****
      Forgive what might seem on its face a stupid question, Bill, but why
      hasn't it been?

      I mean, specifically.

      >Quixote could be magnificent, although it
      > can't really be finished in the usual sense of the word; Gary's
      > mistake in circulating a version of Other Side that he edited himself
      > has temporarily sunk the rep of that film, but that's like judging
      > the Quixote material by Jess Franco's compilation (which I assume is
      > what you've seen, Tom)

      *****
      Yes. It was indeed the Jess Franco assembly. But at least I knew the
      reputation this version enjoyed (if that's the word) before seeing it
      for the first time. So I had the advantage of more or less resigning
      myself to drinking in the images and keeping in mind that this was
      quite probably *not* the form Orson Welles ever intended for this
      material. On that disconnected, narrow basis, Welles' footage had a
      greater effect on me than it might have if I'd played along and
      accepted the film as any kind of finished work; which its presentation
      at the very least implies.

      > But more money is being spent PER DAY to save Bush's face in Iraq
      > than has gone into the totality of all efforts to assemble and
      > preserve Welles' errant work since he died, and no one is even
      > LOOKING for Carnaval, Ambersons or Moby Dick. No one.

      *****
      Another (deceptively) stupid question: What do you think, offhand, are
      the chances of a *reasonably* complete "Ambersons" existing somewhere
      (and I don't mean just kicking around Brazil)?

      Slim? None? Greater than we might imagine?

      Tom Sutpen
    • Ruy Gardnier
      Message 67 of 67 , Feb 6, 2005
        No because the coup d'├ętat happened on november, so they thought there was
        really no point in voting for that year