Re: New year resolutions

  • peckinpah20012000
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2004
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, David Ehrenstein <cellar47@y...>
      wrote:
      > Happy New Year, J-P -- and All!
      >
      > --- jpcoursodon <jpcoursodon@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > My top resolution this year: never bring up the
      > > topic of gayness on
      > > this group again.
      > >
      > > Happy New Year to all.

      I have a feeling that this will be a very brief resolution.

      Happy New Year to David and all the stimulating people in
      this group for their dedicated exchange of ideas which do not
      often occur in university settings.

      This group has really been a life-saver for me.

      Tony Williams

    • LiLiPUT1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
        In a message dated 12/31/04 8:23:24 PM, jpcoursodon@... writes:

        > My top resolution this year: never bring up the topic of gayness on
        > this group again.

        Please keep bringing up homosexuality to this group. Please, J-P. I
        absolutely ADORE your contributions to the list!

        Happy New Year to all who celebrate the new year at this time! This is one
        bad ass mother fuckin' list! You're all on fuckin' fire!!!

        Sadly, no one wanted to watch movies at my New Year's Eve party. So we wound
        up watching clips: WB Superstars (INTENSE TV show that was the reverse of
        American Idol - they were looking for the WORST singers in the US. The end is a
        shit Capraesque cop-out. Preston Sturges would have saw through it all! VERY
        CHRISTMAS IN JULY it would have been in HIS genius hands.); an AMAAAAAAAAZING gay
        short film called ANDY directed by Steve Reinke - a man pleasures himself all
        over this impeccably coiffed living room while a gay man describes what's in
        the living room and where he purchased everything on the soundtrack. It's
        waaaaaaay hilarious and I JUST found out it's Canadian which, if you know anything
        about "Canadian," just makes it all the gayer; a short video I made in like
        1989 or 1990 called BITCHES - I really love this - a friend called it "VERY
        Jack Smith" which I was VERY humbled by...and it IS kinda Jack Smith but more
        conceptually than pictorially....I made it cuz this screenwriting teacher I had
        at U of W-Milwaukee that I HATED said there were 2 ways NOT to end a film: 1.
        with a nuclear war and 2. with a dream so MY film had ONE nuclear war and TWO
        dream sequences; and finally we watched some footage of The Monks playing in
        Germany in 1966, I believe....their album BLACK MONK TIME (I think) on Henry
        Rollins' or Rick Rubins' (I think) Infinite Zero label (I tihnk) only floors me
        for like a cut or two at a time BUT this footage is downright shocking...these
        motherfuckers figured out how the history of late 1980s/1990s popular music
        would be written 30 YEARS BEFORE IT ALL HAPPENED...they anticipate not only
        Krautrock a la Amon Duul II or Can or Neu! but also punk and even (the shock
        horror!) house music....and ALL in front of a gaggle of gyrating teens - the very
        end/beginning of the freakin' world!!!

        Oh and I showed the 80 or so minute THE APPLE (Menahem Golan's from 1980 not
        Makmahlbaf's from 1998) in partial fast-forward. Mostly, we just saw the songs
        and the Adornoesque/anti-capitalist ending. Really folks - there are VERY few
        films better than this one. See it NOW!

        I WANTED to show:
        THE PALM BEACH STORY - arguably the very best classical Hollywood comedy ever
        (unless Lewis' THE LADIES' MAN counts)
        SOME CALL IT LOVING - well, they asked
        IT'S PAT: THE MOVIE - Bill Krohn pumps it over Edward Yang so you KNOW it's
        godhead!
        QUEEN BEE or TORCH SONG or my beloved FEMALE ON THE BEACH - something Joan
        Crawford (Damien, your Jean Louis comment was BOSS! I have a pic of JC choosing
        Jean Louis jewels - I think - to wear for QUEEN BEE)

        Ok I wrote all this with Cheeto Puffs fingers and in between bouts of curly
        fries with feta cheese, sea salt, paprika and olive oil in an attempt to sober
        up from kahluas and cream, pink champagne, a sub-Veuve Cliquot champagne and a
        $1.94 bottle of Blue Hawaiian Boone's Farm. Hope it works.

        Again, y'all are amazing! GREAT list!

        xo,

        A very drunk and very gay Kevin John

      • Saul Symonds
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
          My New Years Resolution is to watch more films....I think I watched
          about 1000 this year, probably a lot more as I lost count - being part
          of this group constantly makes me aware of how many films there are
          out there that I haven't seen....and constantly heightens my desire to
          go out and watch them.....when I was 12 and starting watching films
          seriously it was one or two a week - by fifteen it was almost daily -
          at 17 I was writing film reviews and skipping school to go to the
          flicks - now at 20 it's anywhere from 1 to 8 films a day - and I
          usually have a stack of dvd's to watch and review - and as
          distribution companies send out more than is possible to watch, it's
          usually a long stack, (I think 50 at the moment)

          -- Saul.
        • Tom Sutpen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Saul Symonds" <asitdid@y...> wrote:

            > My New Years Resolution is to watch more films....I think I watched
            > about 1000 this year, probably a lot more as I lost count

            *****
            Dear God, why?

            > - being part
            > of this group constantly makes me aware of how many films there are
            > out there that I haven't seen....and constantly heightens my desire to
            > go out and watch them.....

            *****
            Interesting. For me, it constantly heightens my desire to put a bullet
            through my head.

            > when I was 12 and starting watching films
            > seriously it was one or two a week - by fifteen it was almost daily -
            > at 17 I was writing film reviews and skipping school to go to the
            > flicks - now at 20 it's anywhere from 1 to 8 films a day

            *****
            Yeesh. That's too much like my life story to bear further comment.

            Tom "Wasted Life" Sutpen
          • MG4273@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
              Guys,
              It is none of my business - but the Mary Worth in me has some suggestions:
              ON SLEEPING:
              Regular exercise helps people sleep.
              Always start an exercise program SLOWLY, to avoid injury. Start off with 5
              minutes of VERY light exercise a day (a short walk, say, or a flight of stairs).
              Over a month, work up to a half hour of exercise. NEVER push yourself, or do
              too much to begin with, to avoid injury.
              Walking is good exercise for most people. So is swimming, riding an exercise
              bike at a gym. Beware: playing basketball is dangerous -its injury central.
              If you live where it is cold (eg, Michigan), go to a shopping mall and walk.
              Listening to classical music at bed time, and reading poetry, also helps
              people sleep. It's a scientific fact! Watching movies usually keeps people awake
              (bad news from sleep researchers). Public libraries let you borrow classical
              music CDs for free.

              On GOALS:
              Setting obtainable goals makes one feel better about life.
              Plan to write that short story, paint that painting, or make that low-budget
              $500 DV documentary this year.
              Make a plan.
              Write it down.
              Take action on it every day!
              You will accomplish more, and feel better about yourself.
              By the way, fiction, poetry, and water color painting are all really CHEAP to
              do. And you don't have to deal with obnoxious producers, etc. Writing a
              mystery story and posting to your web site can be a liberating experience!

              Good Luck,
              Mike Grost
            • samfilms2003
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                > Listening to classical music at bed time, and reading poetry, also helps
                > people sleep. It's a scientific fact! Watching movies usually keeps people awake
                > (bad news from sleep researchers).

                So if I watched "The Chronicle Of Anna Magdelena Bach" on DVD some
                evening I could only shut one eye ? ;-)

                -Sam
              • David Ehrenstein
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                  --- samfilms2003 <samw@...> wrote:

                  > So if I watched "The Chronicle Of Anna Magdelena
                  > Bach" on DVD some
                  > evening I could only shut one eye ? ;-)

                  I wish it were available on DVD. In fact I wish all of
                  Straub-Huillet were available on DVD. But I gather
                  that's against their religion.

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • Gabe Klinger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                    Mike:

                    > Listening to classical music at bed time, and reading poetry,
                    also helps
                    > people sleep. It's a scientific fact! Watching movies usually
                    keeps people awake
                    > (bad news from sleep researchers).

                    Time magazine sez: if you must turn the tv on before going to bed
                    watch light fare; don't go for mystery, suspense, horror...

                    For years I never got a much-needed reading light for my
                    bedside, and so developed the (bad) habit of watching films
                    before going to bed. Even in my sleepiest state I still found
                    myself making mental notes on what I was seeing.

                    These thoughts would invade me in the night and I wanted to be
                    at my computer typing eventually rather than under the covers
                    catching zzzs. Fortunately, some of these habits have improved,
                    but I find it essential now to get enough sleep to be able to write
                    and function. Anyone who travels to film festivals knows that an
                    active healthy lifestyle during the non-festival parts of the year
                    goes a long way to insure you'll have the endurance to last 30+
                    films and less than three hours of sleep a night.

                    There's a lot we don't know about the brain, but it's also a
                    scientific fact that our response level, our ability to understand
                    and articulate our own thoughts, gets progressively lamer after
                    the 17th hour of being awake.

                    Sometimes that delirium is exciting to me... but I desperately
                    want to grow up in this respect.

                    Gabe
                  • Tom Sutpen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Gabe Klinger" <gcklinger@y...> wrote:

                      > For years I never got a much-needed reading light for my
                      > bedside, and so developed the (bad) habit of watching films
                      > before going to bed. Even in my sleepiest state I still found
                      > myself making mental notes on what I was seeing.

                      *****
                      How do you do that? I mean, make mental notes. Not when you're
                      half-asleep, but at anytime.

                      Reason I ask is, I wanna be a Big Time Film Critic/Essayist (you know,
                      respected, read and admired by capital-C Cinephiles from sea to
                      shining sea) and, if you can believe it, someone told me in an email
                      today that the members here who've achieved absolute Stardom in their
                      lifetimes are . . . let's see . . . "generous with their time and
                      help". Yep, that's it.

                      So any advice you could give someone the status of a Lesser Equal
                      among Greater Equals would be humbly, deeply and abjectly appreciated
                      no end.

                      Tom "Boy Critic" Sutpen
                    • Gabe Klinger
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                        Tom wrote:

                        > > For years I never got a much-needed reading light for my
                        > > bedside, and so developed the (bad) habit of watching films
                        > > before going to bed. Even in my sleepiest state I still found
                        > > myself making mental notes on what I was seeing.
                        >
                        > *****
                        > How do you do that? I mean, make mental notes. Not when
                        you're
                        > half-asleep, but at anytime.

                        Are you joking?

                        > Reason I ask is, I wanna be a Big Time Film Critic/Essayist
                        (you know,
                        > respected, read and admired by capital-C Cinephiles from sea
                        > shining sea) and, if you can believe it, someone told me in an
                        email
                        > today that the members here who've achieved absolute
                        Stardom in their
                        > lifetimes are . . . let's see . . . "generous with their time and
                        > help". Yep, that's it.

                        Are you joking?

                        I thought mental note-taking was a fairly common thing that all of
                        us -- not just Big Time Film Critic-Essayists -- do.

                        And I find your plea kind of disturbing -- if it's indeed sincere.
                      • Tom Sutpen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                          wrote:

                          > > How do you do that? I mean, make mental notes. Not when
                          > you're
                          > > half-asleep, but at anytime.
                          >
                          > Are you joking?

                          *****
                          In a word. Yes.

                          > > Reason I ask is, I wanna be a Big Time Film Critic/Essayist
                          > (you know,
                          > > respected, read and admired by capital-C Cinephiles from sea
                          > > shining sea) and, if you can believe it, someone told me in an
                          > email
                          > > today that the members here who've achieved absolute
                          > Stardom in their
                          > > lifetimes are . . . let's see . . . "generous with their time and
                          > > help". Yep, that's it.
                          >
                          > Are you joking?

                          *****
                          Same answer.

                          > I thought mental note-taking was a fairly common thing that all of
                          > us -- not just Big Time Film Critic-Essayists -- do.
                          >
                          > And I find your plea kind of disturbing -- if it's indeed sincere.

                          *****
                          Nothing to be disturbed about. I have an odd sense of humor when
                          I've been up for 36 hours straight.

                          Tom "Who Very Much Needs Sleep" Sutpen