Re: Fipresci site alert

  • cairnsdavid1967
    Message 1 of 93 , Nov 1, 2004
      > > George Bailey the Spy sounds like it has possibilities. I read
      that
      > > Jimmy Stewart wanted the lead in "North by Northwest" and Ian
      > Fleming
      > > considered Stewart to play James Bond. (Brian Smith suggested he
      did
      > > this just to get Hitchcock to take notice. He wanted Hitchcock as
      > > director.)

      > Stewart was always AH's second choice for Roger. His comments on
      what
      > the Bond series ended up being are on view in the underrated Torn
      > Curtain and the mutilated Topaz.

      Cary Grant was certainly mooted as a Bond, but wasn't interested.

      According to Lehman, N by NW was written with both Stewart and Grant
      in mind, and at a certain point he said to Hitch "I think we'd better
      go for Grant 'cause if Jimmy Stewart has to say this dialogue the
      film's gonna be three hours long."

      That movie was my parents' first date. I always felt a debt to Hitch
      for that, along with a slight grudge against Bergman, whose THE
      VIRGIN SPRING is NOT a good date movie, as my folks found out.
    • Paul Gallagher
      Message 93 of 93 , Nov 8, 2004
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Rector" <kinoslang@h...>
        wrote:

        > If Bulgarian soccer players can make communism for a few minutes,
        > that's hopeful! not necessarily a joke.
        > If Godard himself says in
        > the film that humane people don't start revolutions (which brings
        us
        > back to the Straubs/Luxemburg/Vittorini), Godard also includes
        > Goytisolo's: (PP)what's needed is a revolution with comparable
        force
        > in CREATIVITY, etc...("little digital cameras", which Godard is
        > using too).
        >
        > I wish I could read that interview!!!!
        >
        > yours,
        > andy

        I thought the quote had to do with something like a revolution of
        creativity -- something explicity non-political. I may misremember.
        Perhaps Godard's views are close to Goytiloso's. But I think we'd
        encounter the same problems as with the discussion on Yugoslavia.
        People would say, yes, of course, Goytiloso is right, it's obvious.
        I'd disagree, and it would go nowhere.

        Paul