Re: [a_film_by] Re: Yi Yi and the critics (was: Post 1978 Hollywood comedy)

  • Fred Camper
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 15, 2004
      I appreciate Mike's citing of me as one of three admirers of Yang I
      gather he respects, along with my friends Jonathan Rosenbaum and John
      Belton. I don't think any of us engage in hype, nor are any of us
      trend-followers, though Jonathan can be said to be something of a
      trend-maker. John Belton is a tenured professor who is not known for
      grasping over-ambitiousness at the expense of honesty; I mean, if one of
      us likes a filmmaker, it's not likely a response to any hype but a
      sincere reaction.

      Mike is also right that understanding Yang should begin with the
      magnificent "A Brighter Summer Day."

      "A Brighter Summer Day" is a truly haunting and meditative film whose
      images have a creepy and tenuous distance, almost as if we're seeing the
      characters through a tunnel. "Yi Yi" is on the surface far more
      sensuous, and its very sensuousness would I think not survive video at
      all, because the presence of its colors and surfaces is more tenuous
      than it seems to be. I hardly remember the story of "Yi Yi" at all (a
      hazard of my peculiar approach to first viewings of subtitled films that
      I don't have to write about), but what I do remember of it is things
      such as the presence of highways in the backgrounds of buildings,
      constructing the peculiarly disorienting spaces of its city. Human
      existence is rendered both touching and tenuous by its mix of sensuality
      and distancing.

      I've never been as interested as most cinephiles seem to be in national
      cinemas as categories. I suppose Jean Renoir, Jean-Isidore Isou, and
      Robert Bresson do have something in common other than that they all made
      films in French, but I have no idea what that might be. I'm not saying
      that there are no characteristics of national cinemas, or that an
      article purporting to show that Bresson or Godard might some Renoir-ian
      roots might not be useful, but rather that directors, the whole output
      of one director, studying that, has always proven more fruitful for me
      than generalizing about nations.

      Fred Camper
    • thebradstevens
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 20, 2004
        "The content of the radio broadcast at the end is actually quite
        simple: it's just a list of the names of the graduating students. As
        far as I know, that bit has never been translated, so I owe
        this "discovery" to Stephen Teo, with whom I saw the 4-hour version
        in Taipei over a decade ago."

        It's translated in the subtitles of the 3-hour version as transmitted
        by the BBC.