Re: Good News: Tekno Nova LFS soon to be released

  • agryfe
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 9, 2012
      1:50 is actually a standard Metric architectural scale (half of 1:100).

      --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, Busrc <busrc@...> wrote:

      > I did some research on Tekno and they do seem to model in 1:50 O scale. An unusual scale for the Europeans.
    • R C
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 12, 2012
        Agryfe,

        That's not exactly correct.

        The O scale we use on this side of the pond is 1:50. Common in Europe (albeit 1:50 is becoming more popular over yonder)is either 1:48 or 1:43. Keep in mind the UK, IE; Corgi is from the UK which isn't part of the EU. Even Corgi's aren't true 1:50, probably closer to 1:48. Any Russian models you buy are definitely going to be 1:43, IE; Vektor or St. Petersburg.

        Next, 1:50 would be twice the size of 1:100, not half. HO which is 1:87 is also very popular worldwide as a universal modelling scale. I've never heard of 1:100 scale, but that would be somewhere in between N and HO.

        Randy
        --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "agryfe" <transitcanada@...> wrote:

        > 1:50 is actually a standard Metric architectural scale (half of 1:100).
        >

        > --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, Busrc <busrc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I did some research on Tekno and they do seem to model in 1:50 O scale. An unusual scale for the Europeans.

      • Peter Newgard
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 13, 2012

        Hi Randy

        I think the scale more commonly used in North America , at least in the past, was O 1:48 or ¼” to the foot, not 1:50.

        I would certainly agree that HO has been the most popular scale in NA  for years now which no doubt happened because newer manufacturing methods produced much more acceptable detail than the early HO.

        I was surprised and a little disappointed when Corgi made their buses in 1:50th (although as you say, they’re not exact but they’re certainly smaller than 1:48th.

        I think “agryfe” is correct in saying the 1:50 comes from the metric system.

        After all, 80% of the world’s population was on Metric while Great Britain and North America were still on Imperial. Canada started to change in the mid 70’s. My kids use metric measurements while I use a mixture of the two.

        When I draw buses, I work in 1:48. I use a photocopy reduction to go to HO. J

        I’ve attached the official NMRA Scale summary.

        Hope this helps.

        Peter

        Message 4 of 18 , Apr 14, 2012
          Sorry guys, I guess I wasn't clear in my last post.
          When I was talking about 1:50 and 1:100 scales, I was referring to what professional architects use, NOT us hobbyists.
          —Alan
        • Andy
          Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012

            To be absolutely pedantic, both the UK and IE are part of the EU. IE is also part of the "Eurozone" common currency which has been taking quite a bashing recently, whilst we in the UK, thankfully, are not!

            The reason we did not adopt the 1:87 scale here, which as you correctly point out is the mathematically correct scale for 00-gauge is that when, years ago, Hornby introduced their model railways to be used on that gauge track, they found that UK locomotives were much smaller than continental European rolling stock and were too small to house the electric motors they needed to drive them! Consequently Hornby decided to make their locomotives/rolling stock overscale at 1:76. The model bus scene has followed this practice! It's a great nuisance! Although the larger scale allows more detail to be shown, it means UK and European model buses can't be displayed alongside each other, at a time when trans-European bus and coach travel has never been more apparent! (We also have discrepancies at N-gauge between UK and continental Europe !)

            HTIOI

            Andy

            Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012

              Apologies for a small typo!

              OO-gauge is the UK terminology for HO-gauge track. Same-sized track but the HO (Half-O) label is not used here. When Hornby introduced their model railway system it was known as "Hornby Dublo".

              Andy

              --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" <PA3EVB@...> wrote:

              > point out is the mathematically correct scale for 00-gauge is that when,

            • Bryan Cooper
              Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2012
                I thought they were to be released in O scale 1:50. Or is this a different company also making the Nova bus?

                Please advise.