Info needed on plastic Greyhound Eagle Model 15

  • Frankie
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
      I need info on the intergrity of the plastic used in the plastic
      Trailway Eagles. Anyone know how light affects the plastic? My
      Trailways Model 5 is fine, however the plastic on my Trailways Model 10
      has turned yellowish from exposure with the flourescent lights in my
      basement.

      I just recently added the rare Greyhound version Model 15 bank with the
      box to my collection and am wondering if I should leave it in the box
      or display it with the other two Eagles.

      Anyone have yellowing problems with their Eagles?

      Frankie
    • John Lameck
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
        Put it in a window for a few hours each day, make sure and turn it, the sun will bleach it white again.
        If the white is just plastic, you may be stuck with the yellow

        I need info on the intergrity of the plastic used in the plastic
        Trailway Eagles.  Anyone know how light affects the plastic?  My
        Trailways Model 5 is fine, however the plastic on my Trailways Model 10
        has turned yellowish from exposure with the flourescent lights in my
        basement.

        I just recently added the rare Greyhound version Model 15 bank with the
        box to my collection and am wondering if I should leave it in the box
        or display it with the other two Eagles.

        Anyone have yellowing problems with their Eagles?

        Frankie

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:a1modelbuses-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:a1modelbuses-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bruce Sebrian
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
          I have had my Greyhound Eagle 15 since 1986. I was one of the first ones to get one.

          My Eagle has never yellowed.

          To get rid of the yellowing, use car wax and over time the yellow WILL fade away.

          Bruce Sebrian

          BTW I made a destination for my GHL 15 which reads "BOSTON"'

          On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Frankie <jonesbeach47@...> wrote:

          I need info on the intergrity of the plastic used in the plastic
          Trailway Eagles. Anyone know how light affects the plastic? My
          Trailways Model 5 is fine, however the plastic on my Trailways Model 10
          has turned yellowish from exposure with the flourescent lights in my
          basement.

          I just recently added the rare Greyhound version Model 15 bank with the
          box to my collection and am wondering if I should leave it in the box
          or display it with the other two Eagles.

          Anyone have yellowing problems with their Eagles?

          Frankie

        • S. Robinson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
            There is one more thing you can do to protect the finish of your
            Model 15. All my Eagles are Clear Coated. The plastic used in those
            Eagles has a tendency to turn yellow when they sit in the sun or on
            display for a long time not being attended too. So what you do is
            with any spray clear paint, spray your model. Not heavy but enough
            that all outer surface is protected. It will never turn afterwards.
            Happy Holidays, Robbie.

            --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Sebrian" <bruce1947@...>
            wrote:

            > I have had my Greyhound Eagle 15 since 1986. I was one of the first
            ones to
            > get one.
            >
            > My Eagle has never yellowed.
            >
            > To get rid of the yellowing, use car wax and over time the yellow
            WILL fade
            > away.
            >
            > Bruce Sebrian
            >
            > BTW I made a destination for my GHL 15 which reads "BOSTON"'
            >
            > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Frankie <jonesbeach47@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I need info on the intergrity of the plastic used in the plastic
            > > Trailway Eagles. Anyone know how light affects the plastic? My
            > > Trailways Model 5 is fine, however the plastic on my Trailways
            Model 10
            > > has turned yellowish from exposure with the flourescent lights in
            my
            > > basement.
            > >
            > > I just recently added the rare Greyhound version Model 15 bank
            with the
            > > box to my collection and am wondering if I should leave it in the
            box
            > > or display it with the other two Eagles.
            > >
            > > Anyone have yellowing problems with their Eagles?
            > >
            > > Frankie

          • S. Robinson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
              I had a couple of them with heavy yellowing problem. I won them off
              ebay and when I got them, one side was like new the other old!!. So I
              used them as project buses. It was very fun to me since one turn into
              my first Silver Eagle (1969) with White Wall Tires. The other I
              turned into Monumental Tours of Baltimore MD. (Defunct in the 80's)
              And a Trailways Brux. (The Combo Car). So sometimes it can be fun to
              be in that situation. It is all in what you do about it. Robbie

              --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "Frankie" <jonesbeach47@...>
              wrote:

              > I need info on the intergrity of the plastic used in the plastic
              > Trailway Eagles. Anyone know how light affects the plastic? My
              > Trailways Model 5 is fine, however the plastic on my Trailways
              Model 10
              > has turned yellowish from exposure with the flourescent lights in
              my
              > basement.
              >
              > I just recently added the rare Greyhound version Model 15 bank with
              the
              > box to my collection and am wondering if I should leave it in the
              box
              > or display it with the other two Eagles.
              >
              > Anyone have yellowing problems with their Eagles?
              >
              > Frankie

            • ANGEL
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
                I concur. you have (2) methods available to use.

                purchase testors clear coat spray in semi-gloss
                purchase krylon semi gloss clear coat paint

                or you may use future floor wax and spray that through your air brush.
                Future floor wax will not cause a wax build up that yellows with time.

                personally i use Automotive quality paints and the associated clear
                coat spray. if you spray lightly in layers, models look a hell of alot
                more realistic. ask James Masters who purchased a NJTransit Fishbowl
                from me if he loves his paint job. Also ask Mike Koch if his paint job
                on his 4106 is not kick ass with nice clear coat on it as well.

                HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

                ANGEL

                --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "S. Robinson" <remie4494@...> wrote:

                > There is one more thing you can do to protect the finish of your
                > Model 15. All my Eagles are Clear Coated. The plastic used in those
                > Eagles has a tendency to turn yellow when they sit in the sun or on
                > display for a long time not being attended too. So what you do is
                > with any spray clear paint, spray your model. Not heavy but enough
                > that all outer surface is protected. It will never turn afterwards.
                > Happy Holidays, Robbie.
                >
                > --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Sebrian" <bruce1947@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I have had my Greyhound Eagle 15 since 1986. I was one of the first
                > ones to
                > > get one.
                > >
                > > My Eagle has never yellowed.
                > >
                > > To get rid of the yellowing, use car wax and over time the yellow
                > WILL fade
                > > away.
                > >
                > > Bruce Sebrian
                > >
                > > BTW I made a destination for my GHL 15 which reads "BOSTON"'
                > >
                > > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Frankie <jonesbeach47@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > I need info on the intergrity of the plastic used in the plastic
                > > > Trailway Eagles. Anyone know how light affects the plastic? My
                > > > Trailways Model 5 is fine, however the plastic on my Trailways
                > Model 10
                > > > has turned yellowish from exposure with the flourescent lights in
                > my
                > > > basement.
                > > >
                > > > I just recently added the rare Greyhound version Model 15 bank
                > with the
                > > > box to my collection and am wondering if I should leave it in the
                > box
                > > > or display it with the other two Eagles.
                > > >
                > > > Anyone have yellowing problems with their Eagles?
                > > >
                > > > Frankie

              • S. Robinson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
                  Angel we know you are the man. I have a surprise for you my man. I
                  will send you the pics first then post then. Its 90% finished. I
                  stopped because of the holidays, but I think you will like it. Robbie.

                  --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "ANGEL" <angel1t@...> wrote:

                  > I concur. you have (2) methods available to use.
                  >
                  > purchase testors clear coat spray in semi-gloss
                  > purchase krylon semi gloss clear coat paint
                  >
                  > or you may use future floor wax and spray that through your air
                  brush.
                  > Future floor wax will not cause a wax build up that yellows with
                  time.

                  > personally i use Automotive quality paints and the associated clear
                  > coat spray. if you spray lightly in layers, models look a hell of
                  alot
                  > more realistic. ask James Masters who purchased a NJTransit Fishbowl
                  > from me if he loves his paint job. Also ask Mike Koch if his paint
                  job
                  > on his 4106 is not kick ass with nice clear coat on it as well.
                  >
                  > HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
                  >
                  > ANGEL
                  >
                  > --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "S. Robinson" <remie4494@>
                  wrote:

                  > > There is one more thing you can do to protect the finish of your
                  > > Model 15. All my Eagles are Clear Coated. The plastic used in
                  those
                  > > Eagles has a tendency to turn yellow when they sit in the sun or
                  on
                  > > display for a long time not being attended too. So what you do is
                  > > with any spray clear paint, spray your model. Not heavy but
                  enough
                  > > that all outer surface is protected. It will never turn
                  afterwards.
                  > > Happy Holidays, Robbie.
                  > >
                  > > --- In a1modelbuses@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Sebrian" <bruce1947@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I have had my Greyhound Eagle 15 since 1986. I was one of the
                  first
                  > > ones to
                  > > > get one.
                  > > >
                  > > > My Eagle has never yellowed.
                  > > >
                  > > > To get rid of the yellowing, use car wax and over time the
                  yellow
                  > > WILL fade
                  > > > away.
                  > > >
                  > > > Bruce Sebrian
                  > > >
                  > > > BTW I made a destination for my GHL 15 which reads "BOSTON"'

                  Trailways
                  > > Model 10
                  > > my

                  > > with the
                  > > box

                • ANGEL
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
                    I agree with Robbie, I received a M-15 from him in Greyhound Livery. I
                    stripped all that label graphic tape off and sanded down the body.
                    used crazy glue and accelerator to fill seams and gaps that were
                    ruining body lines and created my M-15 in white with the windows
                    darkened in. I also removed the plastic wheels and installed real
                    wheels. This coach will be the beginnings for my resin bodied M-15's.

                    pictures of the model are on this site

                    You can make lemons into lemonade if you put the effort in