Anyone...

  • a_ser_files
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
      ...want to share their experience? Any problems (other than the pal
      setting after the flash)?
    • tc2456mail
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
        Just tried it on my 841, it works great. I tested a couple of region 3
        disks and a couple of divx files, no problem at all. The best part is
        able to have up conversion on component.
      • badmofo1916
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 20, 2005
          I have attempted the downgrade many times. Disk ejects and drawer re-
          closes after a couple of mins but system does not power down. I get a
          blue screen with yellow lines. it never gets to the pal language
          select screen. Any ideas? I have reverted to original firmware and
          retried many times.

          --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "a_ser_files" <a_ser_files@y...>
          wrote:
          > ...want to share their experience? Any problems (other than the pal
          > setting after the flash)?
        • a_ser_files
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
            Is your tv NTSC? When the upgrade is done and the player restarts, it
            will be in PAL mode, which on NTSC tv looks like scrolling up and down
            yellow lines on a blue background.

            --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "badmofo1916" <badmofo1916@y...> wrote:
            > I have attempted the downgrade many times. Disk ejects and drawer re-
            > closes after a couple of mins but system does not power down. I get
            > blue screen with yellow lines. it never gets to the pal language
            > select screen. Any ideas? I have reverted to original firmware and
            > retried many times.
            >

            > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "a_ser_files" <a_ser_files@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > ...want to share their experience? Any problems (other than the pal
            > > setting after the flash)?
          • jtjt21
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
              wrote:
              > ...want to share their experience? Any problems (other than the pal
              > setting after the flash)?
              I just flashed mine and now the dvd tray wont move. The player says
              load and the tray is just stuck wont eject. Pulled it open and it
              wont shut either. Anyone know what's up with it?
            • bw191
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 29, 2005
                --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "jtjt21" <ikik@a...> wrote:
                > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "a_ser_files" <a_ser_files@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > ...want to share their experience? Any problems (other than the pal
                > > setting after the flash)?
                > I just flashed mine and now the dvd tray wont move. The player says
                > load and the tray is just stuck wont eject. Pulled it open and it
                > wont shut either. Anyone know what's up with it?

                Same question here.
              • michaelcerca
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                  --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "bw191" <bw191@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "jtjt21" <ikik@a...> wrote:
                  > > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "a_ser_files" <a_ser_files@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > ...want to share their experience? Any problems (other than the pal
                  > > > setting after the flash)?
                  > > I just flashed mine and now the dvd tray wont move. The player says
                  > > load and the tray is just stuck wont eject. Pulled it open and it
                  > > wont shut either. Anyone know what's up with it?
                  >
                  > Same question here.

                  i had the same problem with my player even before the firmware
                  upgrade, i don't know what the problem is, but sometimes my player
                  just gets stuck on "open" and the try dosen't do anything. i usually
                  turn it off and put on a record, then after about 5-10 min i power it
                  back on and the tray opens fine.
                  a fix to this problem would be great, but i don't really mind waiting
                  the 5-10 min.
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                    --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "michaelcerca" <michaelcerca@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "bw191" <bw191@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "jtjt21" <ikik@a...> wrote:
                    > > > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "a_ser_files" <a_ser_files@y...>
                    > > > I just flashed mine and now the dvd tray wont move. The player says
                    > > > load and the tray is just stuck wont eject. Pulled it open and it
                    > > > wont shut either. Anyone know what's up with it?
                    > >
                    > > Same question here.
                    >

                    > i had the same problem with my player even before the firmware
                    > upgrade, i don't know what the problem is, but sometimes my player
                    > just gets stuck on "open" and the try dosen't do anything. i usually
                    > turn it off and put on a record, then after about 5-10 min i power it
                    > back on and the tray opens fine.
                    > a fix to this problem would be great, but i don't really mind waiting
                    > the 5-10 min.

                    I am having quite a problem after my "upgrade". No problems previously but
                    now the drawer is stuck open and the screen says "load" No output to the screen at all. I've
                    tried to unplug and pray... if I put a disc in it nothing happens and i have to pretty much
                    push the tray in (and then remove the disc uh forcibly) Now it seems I've got a nice
                    paperweight here. cant even return my player to the normal firmwire
                  • pondqueen9
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                      --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <christopherjhuwu@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "michaelcerca"
                      <michaelcerca@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "bw191" <bw191@y...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Same question here.
                      > >

                      > > i had the same problem with my player even before the firmware
                      > > upgrade, i don't know what the problem is, but sometimes my
                      player
                      > > just gets stuck on "open" and the try dosen't do anything. i
                      usually
                      > > turn it off and put on a record, then after about 5-10 min i
                      power it
                      > > back on and the tray opens fine.
                      > > a fix to this problem would be great, but i don't really mind
                      waiting
                      > > the 5-10 min.
                      >
                      > I am having quite a problem after my "upgrade". No problems
                      previously but
                      > now the drawer is stuck open and the screen says "load" No output
                      to the screen at all. I've
                      > tried to unplug and pray... if I put a disc in it nothing happens
                      and i have to pretty much
                      > push the tray in (and then remove the disc uh forcibly) Now it
                      seems I've got a nice
                      > paperweight here. cant even return my player to the normal firmwire

                      I've got the same problem. My player was working fine before I did
                      the firmware downgrade but afterwards, the disc drawer is stuck open
                      and the screen says "load". No other action with the unit at all.

                      Any ideas out there?

                      Jeff
                    • scanflap
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 8, 2005

                        Here is my suggestion. It is based on loading the wrong firmware into my 841. I had the
                        same symptoms.

                        What I did first is burn the correct firmware for the 841 to a disc. Not the mod.

                        Then I opened the cabinet with the POWER UNPLUGGED. Take off the wrapper - the top of
                        the player.

                        What I discovered was that my forcing the tray and removing the disc got the tray slightly
                        out of sync mechanically. Open the tray (or you can remove the top of the holder if you are
                        mechanically inclined) and insert the disc. When you push in the tray make sure it goes in
                        far enough to raise the CD up into the clamped position. Mine was not, and a forceful
                        close caused it to chuck up the disc.

                        BE CAREFULL AND KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE INSIDE OF THE UNIT OR YOU
                        COULD BE ELECTROCUTED. Plug it in and the disc should spin up. If it does not, it is not
                        chucked up all the way. You may have to remove power and reapply a couple of times, but
                        it should spin and the screen should display the upgrade info. If you had a partial upgrade,
                        the picture may be in PAL, AND you will need a multistandard display (or I use an
                        International VCR to convert to NTSC).

                        At worst case you will have to remove the top of the disc holder and partially remove the
                        tray to get it mechanically into sync. Then try to power up.

                        This is how I recovered from loading 941 firmware into an 841. Don't ask - apparently I
                        could not read on the Samsung site and I thought I downloaded the 841 update.

                        I hope this helps. It fixed my player. I was sucessful in finally putting in the 741 firmware.

                        --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <christopherjhuwu@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "michaelcerca" <michaelcerca@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "bw191" <bw191@y...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Same question here.
                        > >

                        > > i had the same problem with my player even before the firmware
                        > > upgrade, i don't know what the problem is, but sometimes my player
                        > > just gets stuck on "open" and the try dosen't do anything.
                      • lemaru2000
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 13, 2007
                          Did anyone have any success fixing the problem with the DVD player
                          being stuck saying "LOAD" or "OPEN" on the display after an update
                          with the drive either stuck closed or open?!?!

                          Mine too is now stuck like this after an upgrade! I have opened the
                          case up and tried the steps in the last post but still no success!!

                          I dont really want to have to buy another DVD player!!

                          Any info much appreciated!

                          --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "scanflap" <lewis@...> wrote:

                          > Here is my suggestion. It is based on loading the wrong firmware
                          into my 841. I had the
                          > same symptoms.
                          >
                          > What I did first is burn the correct firmware for the 841 to a
                          disc. Not the mod.

                          > Then I opened the cabinet with the POWER UNPLUGGED. Take off the
                          wrapper - the top of
                          > the player.
                          >
                          > What I discovered was that my forcing the tray and removing the
                          disc got the tray slightly
                          > out of sync mechanically. Open the tray (or you can remove the top
                          of the holder if you are
                          > mechanically inclined) and insert the disc. When you push in the
                          tray make sure it goes in
                          > far enough to raise the CD up into the clamped position. Mine was
                          not, and a forceful
                          > close caused it to chuck up the disc.
                          >
                          > BE CAREFULL AND KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE INSIDE OF THE UNIT
                          OR YOU
                          > COULD BE ELECTROCUTED. Plug it in and the disc should spin up. If
                          it does not, it is not
                          > chucked up all the way. You may have to remove power and reapply a
                          couple of times, but
                          > it should spin and the screen should display the upgrade info. If
                          you had a partial upgrade,
                          > the picture may be in PAL, AND you will need a multistandard
                          display (or I use an
                          > International VCR to convert to NTSC).
                          >
                          > At worst case you will have to remove the top of the disc holder
                          and partially remove the
                          > tray to get it mechanically into sync. Then try to power up.
                          >
                          > This is how I recovered from loading 941 firmware into an 841.
                          Don't ask - apparently I
                          > could not read on the Samsung site and I thought I downloaded the
                          841 update.

                          > I hope this helps. It fixed my player. I was sucessful in finally
                          putting in the 741 firmware.

                          > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <christopherjhuwu@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > > --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, "michaelcerca"
                          <michaelcerca@y...> wrote:

                          > > > i had the same problem with my player even before the firmware
                          > > > upgrade, i don't know what the problem is, but sometimes my
                          player
                          > > > just gets stuck on "open" and the try dosen't do anything.

                        • sfb
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 14, 2007
                            As far as I know, the only way around a firmware update that went bad is to send it to the manufacturer. They can flash it through the service port. Mine was fixed that way. It's not that bad even if they charge you, mine was still under warranty so they didn't. Their fixed labor rate for DVD players is very reasonable. If I remember what they quoted me correctly, it was only around $40.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 14, 2007
                              Sadly $40 probably means £40 in the UK so not much for for a new
                              player!

                              Think I shall stay clear of samsungs tho