Help needed with R2 HD950 firmware hack, please!

  • David Early
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hello!

      I've just bought a (region 2, in the UK) Samsung
      HD950. Just done the remote hack "57538" trick to
      make it multi region. All good.

      Just realising this doesn't disable the HDCP, (which I
      need to hook it to my projector) so I am looking for
      the firmware region 5 file to download and put to CD.

      I'm on a mac, and I think I just need a compiled .img
      file to burn to CD, but I can't seem to locate the
      right one, and don't want to muck it up.

      Could anyone here give me hand with this please?

      Many thanks for any help!!!

      Cheers,

      Dave

    • chris_matt_is
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
        I used this file:

        http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4D00RPNsHh_x2oue2gcAVHM6vrfi2dfVaPf79Tf1c
        QZJ0zLBCw6aCGVTRgyiI1ecm8JUH-rtvYoDVB9ANEUs7mSb3jgE6QpKhC-
        2uw/HD950/HNACXSL2XEL.RAR

        Which i burnt to dvd after unraring it. I also added a 100mb file
        for the sammy to pick up the firmware - you need to make sure that
        you follow these instructions:

        http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4D00RAgPs3Hx2oueS-LZiV64R0vGHG-Xe-
        GKU3Iww1BN7RwCwFtjRLYmio9CDJnAhgBA-
        7JgA4cUgxyj4VtTUW0JfkCQaPTdkiHUXA/HD841/DivX_update_manual.pdf

        After the flash it will be set to 'region 5', simply use this code
        here:
        1. Press the Repeat button on your remote control
        Don't confuse with the Repeat A-B button

        2. Press the buttons 5, 3, 8, 1 and 4 on your remote control, in
        order one at a time
        3. The numbers 01 or similar current region code will be displayed on
        the top left of your onscreen display

        4. Press the 1 button on your remote control for region 1, 2 for
        region 2, and so on, or 9 for multi-region playback
        NB: The above step may be time sensitive and need to be performed
        quickly

        5. Open your DISC tray and leave open for 15 secs.

        6. After 15 seconds have elapsed, power off your player and the DISC
        tray will be closed and player shut off.

        7. Power on player and it is now set to the new region code you chose
        in step 4 above

        If you do a factory settings reset ( right buttion pressed for 10
        second's ) Player WILL reset the Eprom from Firmware and you will
        need to redo the above method - hope this helps!

        I did this on mine - worked a treat!

        --- In ZoranDVD@yahoogroups.com, David Early <the_street_cleaner@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I've just bought a (region 2, in the UK) Samsung
        > HD950. Just done the remote hack "57538" trick to
        > make it multi region. All good.
        >
        > Just realising this doesn't disable the HDCP, (which I
        > need to hook it to my projector) so I am looking for
        > the firmware region 5 file to download and put to CD.
        >
        > I'm on a mac, and I think I just need a compiled .img
        > file to burn to CD, but I can't seem to locate the
        > right one, and don't want to muck it up.
        >
        > Could anyone here give me hand with this please?
        >
        > Many thanks for any help!!!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Dave

        > Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just
        8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

      • g1ngerninja
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
          Dave,

          First off welcome to the world of the wonderful HD950.

          I bought mine a few days ago.

          What you need to do is download the Region 5 firmware from the files section here :- http:
          //f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sBM0RG-6qR-
          XT4OistcXiuJfaTepewYfAv5szWa7w0dQ7Y7U5P5tE_OMH64utgP8dVzei4ndXNlrBpS-MiRLO-
          q4zx9aFF3iI4A/HD950/HNACXSL2XEL.RAR

          Now this contains 2 files, you should not rename or do anything to these files.

          1. Using Toast 6 create a new CD Data, Mac & PC
          2. Drag your 2 files into it
          3. Create a dummy 100MB+ zip file (it must end .zip)
          4. Drag this into the same CD (so you should now have 3 files in there)
          5. Now burn and make sure the Advanced settings show "Write Disc"
          6. Burn CD.

          Jobs a good one.

          This is what you need to do with this CD.

          1. Power on DVD player, insert cd, wait for a message box that pops up telling you Old
          and New versions of the firmware and 2 selection boxes saying Cancel and Total.
          2. Select Total with the remote and press enter.
          3. You'll get a message saying it's loading, and a caution advising not to turn the player
          off when it ejects the cd, it will turn itself off. ***TRUST ME ON THIS, IT TAKES A WHILE***

          N.B When it ejects the CD remove it but dont do anything else, just wait for it to shut itself
          down.

          4. Once it has turned itself off, turn back on again.
          5. Now when the No Disc appears Press the Repeat Button
          6. Now key in 53814 (this is because now it's a region 5 firmware)
          7. This will display 5 (Region code), key in 2 or 9 (if you want region free)
          8. Now press Repeat again (the screen will go blank for a second but will come back)
          9. Eject the tray and leave for 15 secs
          10. Press the power button
          11. Power back on and you should be presented with the Select Language again.

          And now you are done. To change resolution over Component (now that HCP has been
          disabled) press the HDMI Sel. button.

          All yours, hope this helps as this worked for me having already tried all the others listed
          here and elsewhere.

          Cheers

          G1ngerNinja