Zoot beta

  • Chuck Waterfield
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 21, 2007
      FYI, Tom sent out a note to all people on the beta mailing list. If you
      didn't get that message today, then you should send an email to:

      beta@...

      That should get you on the distribution list..

      Chuck Waterfield

      Zoot moderator

    • thelor2000
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
        Hi together,

        I sent again a reply to the given mail-address, but did not get any
        mail regarding the beta till now.
        Could anybody update me with the status?

        Regards
        Andreas

        --- In ZootForum@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Waterfield" <waterfield@...>
        wrote:

        > FYI, Tom sent out a note to all people on the beta mailing list. If you
        > didn't get that message today, then you should send an email to:
        >

        > beta@...
        >

        > That should get you on the distribution list..
        >

        > Chuck Waterfield
        >
        > Zoot moderator

      • Chris Lawley
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          On 2 Jul 2007, thelor2000 wrote:

          > I sent again a reply to the given mail-address, but did not get any
          > mail regarding the beta till now.
          > Could anybody update me with the status?

          Status = Tenterhooks

          That is we are all anxiously waiting...

          I'm betting there's an air of
          :LOOP
          I'll just get this little bug fixed...
          Oh, there's another
          Goto LOOP

          chris :-)
        • Tom Davis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
            > I'm betting there's an air of
            > :LOOP
            > I'll just get this little bug fixed...
            > Oh, there's another
            > Goto LOOP

            That's exactly right.

            I'm working on a couple of tough ones of the "works on Vista, doesn't work
            on Win9x; works on XP, doesn't work on Vista" variety. Almost there
            though...

            Tom Davis
            Zoot Software
            td@...
          • Andreas Harlander
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
              TD> That's exactly right.

              TD> I'm working on a couple of tough ones of the "works on Vista, doesn't work
              TD> on Win9x; works on XP, doesn't work on Vista" variety. Almost there
              TD> though...

              How about the "works on Mac" variety?... Okay, let's forget about it
              for the moment.

              Andreas
            • David Green
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2007
                Andreas, I'm with you :-)

                David

                >>> Andreas Harlander <harlander@...> 03-Jul-07 2:30 am >>>

                TD> That's exactly right.

                TD> I'm working on a couple of tough ones of the "works on Vista,
                doesn't work
                TD> on Win9x; works on XP, doesn't work on Vista" variety. Almost
                there
                TD> though...

                How about the "works on Mac" variety?... Okay, let's forget about it
                for the moment.

                Andreas

                This email message, including any attached files, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.

                The NSW Department of Commerce prohibits the right to publish,
                copy, distribute or disclose any information contained in this email,
                or its attachments, by any party other than the intended recipient.
                If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from your system.

                No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding
                agreement on behalf of the NSW Department of Commerce by email. The views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Department,
                except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of NSW Department of Commerce.

                The NSW Department of Commerce accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email and recommends that the recipient check this email and any attached files for the presence of viruses.

              • amcawood
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2007
                  --- In ZootForum@yahoogroups.com, "David Green" <david.green@...> wrote:

                  > Andreas, I'm with you :-)
                  >
                  > David

                  > How about the "works on Mac" variety?... Okay, let's forget about it
                  > for the moment.
                  >
                  > Andreas

                  Let's not. Zoot is the only thing I miss from my move to a Mac about 5 years ago. Every year
                  or two I return to the forum and look on wistfully. Tom, I'm sure you could whip up Zoot-
                  for-Mac in a month or two. The platform would have thousands of willing would-be Zooters
                  to make it worthwhile. Take the next step!

                  Matt
                • Stéphane Leclair
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Not sure about the "in a month or two" part.

                    The 16-bit Zoot we know is written in Microsoft Visual Basic 3 with
                    bits of assembler thrown in. As I understand it, the upcoming 32-bit
                    Zoot is a port to Visual Basic 6.

                    Neither version of VB is supported on the Mac. Tom would have to port
                    it to another Basic dialect, such as the cross-platform Real Basic
                    (www.realsoftware.com), to get something usable for Mac and Windows at
                    the same time. Assuming that the assembler part can remain compatible
                    on a Mac, which is by no means certain.

                    Of course, you can probably use Virtual PC or something similar to get
                    Zoot to work on a Macintosh today. On an Intel-based Mac, the speed
                    is probably reasonable. (Mine is a PowerPC G4, so I'm not sure it's
                    worth the trouble...)

                    ---
                    SPL

                    --- In ZootForum@yahoogroups.com, "amcawood" <mcawood@...> wrote:

                    > Let's not [forget about it]. Zoot is the only thing I miss from my
                    move to a Mac about 5 years ago. Every year
                    > or two I return to the forum and look on wistfully. Tom, I'm sure
                    you could whip up Zoot-
                    > for-Mac in a month or two. The platform would have thousands of
                    willing would-be Zooters
                    > to make it worthwhile. Take the next step!
                    >
                    > Matt

                  • Stéphane Leclair
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2007
                      Dear Admiral,

                      Although we all appreciate your thoroughness (and the ensuing
                      reliability of Zoot), I'm wondering if maintaining compatibility with
                      Win9x is really that important.

                      There is some satisfaction to be had in cutting off support for an old
                      and unpleasant platform, and it's even more fun to do so if you know
                      it /almost/ works. At the office, when somebody asks if our software
                      is compatible with Windows Me, we're smiling broadly when we answer NO!

                      Do you know of people out there who are still using Zoot on Windows 98
                      or Me?

                      Moderator, would it be possible to do a poll in this group on what
                      versions of Windows people are running?

                      (Full disclosure: I have a Windows 98 PC on my desk at home. It's an
                      old laptop I use as a second screen through MaxiVista
                      (www.maxivista.com).)

                      ---
                      SPL

                      --- In ZootForum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Davis" <td@...> wrote:

                      > > I'm betting there's an air of
                      > > :LOOP
                      > > I'll just get this little bug fixed...
                      > > Oh, there's another
                      > > Goto LOOP
                      >
                      > That's exactly right.
                      >
                      > I'm working on a couple of tough ones of the "works on Vista,
                      doesn't work
                      > on Win9x; works on XP, doesn't work on Vista" variety. Almost there
                      > though...
                      >
                      > Tom Davis
                      > Zoot Software
                      > td@...

                    • Chuck Waterfield
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2007
                        Yahoogroups does have a polling feature, but people need to have registered
                        yahoo IDs that are linked to their zootforum membership... tricky when that
                        membership is through a non-yahoo email address. In the past I've found
                        many people unable to access the polling site and it is hard for me, as
                        moderator, to walk people through that process one-by-one.

                        Our listserve membership is only a small part of Tom's client base, so he
                        may not find the results reflective of his market. If Tom asks for such a
                        poll, we can see about how to put one together. SurveyMonkey is an
                        accessible option, but requires a $20/month membership if more than 100
                        people reply. There may be other options....

                        Chuck Waterfield
                        List moderator

                      • David Green
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8, 2007
                          Moving platforms would be a big deal, I think we all really know. There are a few apps on the Mac which approach Zoot functionality: DevonThink Office, SOHO Notes (haven't tested the latest, but it includes 'smart' folders, which might be Zoot like) and a couple of smaller note taking apps with 'smart' folders ('smart' is all the rage in the world of Mac). However, none of these really have the breadth of funcitonality of the ol' Zoot, which I use on my PC, while my wife happily Macs along. Although I must say, the Mac has a 'velvet smooth' OS, IMO.

                          David Green

                          >>> Stéphane Leclair <fibre4567@...> 06-Jul-07 9:16:03 pm >>>

                          Not sure about the "in a month or two" part.

                          The 16-bit Zoot we know is written in Microsoft Visual Basic 3 with
                          bits of assembler thrown in. As I understand it, the upcoming 32-bit
                          Zoot is a port to Visual Basic 6.

                          Neither version of VB is supported on the Mac. Tom would have to port
                          it to another Basic dialect, such as the cross-platform Real Basic
                          (www.realsoftware.com), to get something usable for Mac and Windows at
                          the same time. Assuming that the assembler part can remain compatible
                          on a Mac, which is by no means certain.

                          Of course, you can probably use Virtual PC or something similar to get
                          Zoot to work on a Macintosh today. On an Intel-based Mac, the speed
                          is probably reasonable. (Mine is a PowerPC G4, so I'm not sure it's
                          worth the trouble...)

                          ---
                          SPL

                          --- In ZootForum@yahoogroups.com, "amcawood" <mcawood@...> wrote:

                          > Let's not [forget about it]. Zoot is the only thing I miss from my
                          move to a Mac about 5 years ago. Every year
                          > or two I return to the forum and look on wistfully. Tom, I'm sure
                          you could whip up Zoot-
                          > for-Mac in a month or two. The platform would have thousands of
                          willing would-be Zooters
                          > to make it worthwhile. Take the next step!
                          >
                          > Matt

                          This email message, including any attached files, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.

                          The NSW Department of Commerce prohibits the right to publish,
                          copy, distribute or disclose any information contained in this email,
                          or its attachments, by any party other than the intended recipient.
                          If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from your system.

                          No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding
                          agreement on behalf of the NSW Department of Commerce by email. The views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Department,
                          except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of NSW Department of Commerce.

                          The NSW Department of Commerce accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email and recommends that the recipient check this email and any attached files for the presence of viruses.

                        • The Shop
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 9, 2007
                            I agree with David Green.

                            The amount of work needed to bring Zoot to 32 bit and Vista will keep the
                            Admiral busy: there would be no time to translate to OS/X. Your best bet
                            would be to use Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop.

                            Ted Goranson has written an excellent series of articles on outlining and
                            information organizing software which you might like to review:

                            About this Particular Outliner <http://www.atpm.com/Back/atpo.shtml>

                            Also, a couple other programs on the Mac platform to consider are
                            Journler<http://journler.com/>and
                            EagleFiler <http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/>. You won't find an exact match
                            for Zoot's capabilities, but they offer some interesting capabilities of
                            their own.

                            - David Magnuson