Re: [ZoCal] Musings on Big Boy and curve radius

  • Lindley Ruddick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013
      I meant to say arc not circumference. Also planned to say this may help explain why a 10 in radius end is a bit tight but a 15 in radius works fine.

      Sent from Lindley Ruddick's iPhone

      On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:24 AM, "Lindley Ruddick" <elruddick@...> wrote:

      I see that the UP has acquired the Big Boy locomotive that is presently at the LA County fair grounds with plans to restore it to operating status. Many of the 1:1 forums are excited. I have seen a posting that indicates that the 1:1 Big Boy can negotiate a 20 deg curve. A degree curve is defined as the inner angle of a 100 ft circumference. A little APPROXIMATE math shows this to be about a 16 in radius curve in Z scale. For reference our "standard" end radius of 10 in is APPROXIMATELY a 30 deg curve. Perhaps that helps ex