Re: WGH Show

  • Greg Elmassian
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11 11:09 AM
      Did you notice how much warmer it got when the crowd got in there?

      But first time I EVER wore a jacket at a show.

      Greg

      > > IT WAS FREEKING COLD!
      > >
      > > Bill
    • John D. Duino
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11 11:18 AM
        You should've tried sitting out at a baseball field for 12+ hours both days...

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11 12:00 PM
          Just want to say thanks again had a really good time and my head is still spinning with new ideas and projects. It was very educational and really nice to put faces to names.
        • Don Fedjur
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11 12:17 PM
            Hi Dave,

            You are a welcome addition to ZO-Cal................thanks for coming out, running your killer consists and helping out the "crew". We all enjoyed talking to you. Think about that module that you want to create, no hurry.

            All the best and see you next time.

            Don Fedjur

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11 4:42 PM

              What, suddenly no complaints about how hot
              those sexy black shirts y'all wear normally are?

              Sounds like this was one weekend where a little
              extra solar heat-gathering might have been
              appreciated.  :D

              Seriously, though, sounds like you had a good
              show going!  :)

              Matt

              Did you notice how much warmer it got when the crowd got in there?

              But first time I EVER wore a jacket at a show.

              Greg

              > > IT WAS FREEKING COLD!
              > >
              > > Bill

            • Jeff Thompson
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 11 6:12 PM

                Dave –

                Glad you could make it.  As I found out a few years ago, this is a very welcoming group.  Next show, you should plan on dinner with the group on Friday (after set-up, if you can make it) and Saturday.

                Jeff

                Just want to say thanks again had a really good time and my head is still spinning with new ideas and projects. It was very educational and really nice to put faces to names.

              • David Lancaster
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 11 8:03 PM

                  Video up:
                  https://vimeo.com/59457224

                  David L.
                  ZoCal

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12 9:36 PM
                    Friday
                    The week end did not have the greatest beginning as southern California actually had some weather to contend with. It was gloomy and rainy as we arrived at Del Mar. Fortunately we were able to drive in and unload before the rain and hail (yes hail) started. Have you ever been inside of a drum when some child is playing a tribute to the "Anvil Chorus"? That is nothing compared to a hail storm inside a non-insulated, unheated, metal roofed building with the temperature in the high 40's. Set up went quite well with David L., Don, Greg, Gary, Chuck, Bill and myself getting started about 9 AM when the doors opened. We were joined by Henri mid-morning as he drove in with his "empire" inside of an Enterprise rental truck. Everyone pitched in to get the BFY placed and leveled by noon with just a few gremlins quickly taken care of. We were up and running trains by about 3:30. The early entry and late closing sure helped. We called it quits at about 6 PM but the venue was open until 8 PM.

                    Saturday
                    We were joined by Jeff T. and his module when the doors opened at 8 AM. His module was quickly slipped into place and after a little trouble shooting we were running trains. UP Mike showed up with his triple loco with sound. We ended up with about 17 modules on the big layout (counting the BFY as 3) and Henri's empire of 10 or 11 modules. The techies hooked up the WiFi network so a lot of week end running was using Mac and android phones, tablets, etc. as throttles. It is really nice to be able to walk your train around the layout with no cable connections or wireless interference. Technology is great (when it works). Today saw the appearance of David L.'s Big Boy with sound. Very impressive!
                    The weather was much improved and saw a very large crowd. The building was a bit warmer as the body heat generated by all the kids running around raised the temperature. The WGH Tour show has a significantly different flavor than the GTE shows. The show has longer hours until 6 PM but the crowd definitely thinned out by 4 PM. There were many families with lots of small children and lots of people with little model railroad experience. As a result there was a small number of "earthquakes" that caused a few minor derailments but nothing made it to the floor. Godzilla did make an appearance by picking up a couple of buildings but no damage was noted. Everyone was impressed with our layouts and the use of technology. When the show closed at 6 PM we were off to the local pizza parlor for the traditional Saturday night dinner. Henri's wife joined up so we had to try to be on our best behavior - we failed!

                    Sunday
                    The crowd size was reduced from Saturday and I did not notice any "after church" surge. The weather was still cool as witnessed by Greg's statement that he had never worn a jacket for an entire train show. We southern Californians can't take temperatures below 55 degrees. Tom Edwards (?) should have been awarded a ZoCal prize for longest distance traveled by a ZoCal member as he came from Philadelphia to attend and was happy with the mild temperature. Guess it is all relative . Well actually he was in the area for some family business. Paul Eckes dropped by also. Paul was an active ZoCal member when he was stationed in San Diego with the Marines but now lives in Indiana. Brian Pon stopped by to say hello but did not bring any rolling stock to run. Chuck brought his nephew (I think) Mathew (I think) and of course we set him up as an engineer in charge of running the Coaster. The Coaster is ALWAYS a great hit at Del Mar as the 1:1 comes past every few hours and lots of local residents ride it daily. The kids scream for "more Coaster, more Coaster" as they can really relate to it.
                    We welcomed David Stubbs as the newest ZoCal member. Welcome is an understatement as he brought his two (yes two) Big Boys along with a string of AZL PFR reefers. A very impressive piece of rolling artwork. Henri, David L. and Jeff T. also had their Big Boys along with David L.'s Challenger. David L.'s and David S.'s loco double headed for a nice sight. I think we had more big steam locos than any museum or restored facility in the USA!
                    Bill took great delight in pointing out why Z is better than G by using his table top BYOZ along side my circle of G track with Greg's rail bus getting dizzy from running around it. Check the photos.
                    I found it ironic that about 4 PM we were running 4 trains on the inside loop and 2 on the outside loop. More than we had running at any other time during the week end.
                    As usually is the case, the 5 PM closing time was greeted with mixed emotions. We are always sorry when we have to tear down but glad it is over since we are tired, hoarse and exhausted. Everyone pitched in so that we were all closed packed up and out of Del Mar by 7 PM.
                  • te
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 13 4:02 PM

                      HI All:

                      I had a wonderful time and enjoyed talking to all of you.  I’m building my modules…. Well I have the wood frame and the foam base constructed but really wanted to see some REAL FINISHED modules and boy did I get a great EYE FULL.

                      I will report to Loren Snyder about how smoothly everything was running and all the helpful advice I received.  Maybe next time I can learn how to setup, or take down, or do the Saturday night pizza party!!! !  !!

                      Again MANY THANKS

                      Tom Edmunds

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 13 5:33 PM
                        See Tom, I told you ZoCal was the place you wanted to be.  It is a lot easier than it may first appear to you.  It's like anything new.......you are petrified to try something new, don't want to make a mistake or break something.  You got a great crash course this past weekend.

                        Now, the only advice I have for you is.........don't be afraid to ask questions about anything that you are fuzzy on.  As a Z family we owe it to each other to teach, befriend, share, and also moderate each other so we don't get too out of hand.  The last is almost an impossibility.

                        #1 rule of thumb is.....always tell the other guys you have no money to bail them out should they do something stupid.

                        Glad you had a great time.  Did you ever see so many big locos in all your life?   I don't know what those guys do for a living, but it can't possibly be legal  :o)

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 13 6:01 PM
                          come on Loren you promised you wouldn't tell :P

                          --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Snyder" wrote:

                          > See Tom, I told you ZoCal was the place you wanted to be. It is a lot
                          > easier than it may first appear to you. It's like anything new.......you
                          > are petrified to try something new, don't want to make a mistake or break
                          > something. You got a great crash course this past weekend.
                          >
                          > Now, the only advice I have for you is.........don't be afraid to ask
                          > questions about anything that you are fuzzy on. As a Z family we owe it to
                          > each other to teach, befriend, share, and also moderate each other so we don
                          > t get too out of hand. The last is almost an impossibility.
                          >
                          > #1 rule of thumb is.....always tell the other guys you have no money to bail
                          > them out should they do something stupid.
                          >
                          > Glad you had a great time. Did you ever see so many big locos in all your
                          > life? I don't know what those guys do for a living, but it can't possibly
                          > be legal :o)
                          >
                          > Loren

                        • Loren Snyder
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 13 6:40 PM
                            I lied...... :o)

                            come on Loren you promised you wouldn't tell :P