Del Mar Wrapup

  • Gary Hoffman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012
      To my ZoCal friends:

      While I leave to others a fuller wrap-up of this weekend's activities, I just want to say that I really enjoyed being with the gang this weekend and running trains on the largest layout at the GTE show. ZoCal has come a long way in just a short time. We have good looking layouts, great locos and rolling stock, and very helpful team members. I constantly heard from both visitors, other club members, and even vendors that they were very impressed with the current states of Z, at least what we were demonstrating. I think we were a great hit.

      I wish everyone Happy HolidayZ and I look forward to 2013 where we have great shows planned: Anaheim in January, Del Mar WGH in February, San Diego Model Railroad Museum (maybe) in March, and so it goes.

      Best,
      Gary
    • jthompson178@cox.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
        "Gang" - I like that. As I said at NTS in Sacramento we're like Hell's Angels, but with small trains. Seriously wish I could have made it & do plan on making Anaheim!

        Jeff
        ---- Gary Hoffman <ghoffman@...> wrote:
        > To my ZoCal friends:
        >
        > While I leave to others a fuller wrap-up of this weekend's activities, I just want to say that I really enjoyed being with the gang this weekend and running trains on the largest layout at the GTE show. ZoCal has come a long way in just a short time. We have good looking layouts, great locos and rolling stock, and very helpful team members. I constantly heard from both visitors, other club members, and even vendors that they were very impressed with the current states of Z, at least what we were demonstrating. I think we were a great hit.
        >
        > I wish everyone Happy HolidayZ and I look forward to 2013 where we have great shows planned: Anaheim in January, Del Mar WGH in February, San Diego Model Railroad Museum (maybe) in March, and so it goes.
        >
        > Best,
        > Gary

      • Lindley Ruddick
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
          Just a short recap of ZoCal's participation in the show. I got to the hall at about 11:30 on Friday and was joined by most of the folks at about 1PM. The "cast of characters" included Steve Williams. David L., Don, Henri, Gary, Chuck and Greg. We unloaded Henri's 10 modules from his rented van, emptied "the trailer" and David's Explorer. Along with my stuff, Steve's under construction layout and Gary's module we did a pretty good job of filling the 40' X 40' space. First order of business was to set up the BFY which always seems to take quite a while. We went high-tec this time with a laser level for getting our little world into a level playing field condition. Dan and his wife Alma joined us about 4PM with his and UP Mike's end modules. Unfortunately we did not have everything set up and running by 6PM when they chased us out.
          Saturday dawned not so bright but early. I picked up Bill on the way down so we were all there almost as soon as they opened the doors at 7AM. Not sure we had everything running by the time the public showed up at 10AM but at least Henri had all his lights functioning on his modules and I had 4 trains running on full DCC. We had a total of 34 modules broken down into 16 modules including the BFY on the main layout with Henri's 10 as a separate entity on one end and my 5 modules as another separate entity on the other end. Since Henri's and mine were clamped to the main layout, it appeared as one humongous layout but allowed for 3 independently operated sections. This allowed for almost continuous operation when issues such as derailments, run away trains, uncouplings, etc occurred. The main layout used a combination of wired controllers and JMRI wi-fi controllers such as smart phones and tablets. Steve's 3 were a stand alone.The crowds both days seemed very steady. Not sure about how the vendors made out. Some indicated they had a good sales day but others said their sales were down about 25%. As usual 4PM came at about the right time so we all retired to Fidel's Mexican restaurant for a typical ZoCal dinner and BS session.
          Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday but 4PM rolled around too soon. Brian Pond dropped by to say hello as well as Gary's friend Paul who is a 1:1 engine driver. It never seems like much fun to tear everything down. Everyone pitched in disconnecting modules, attaching covers, packing things into vehicles, etc. I think we were all packed by about 6:30PM.
          There are some photos posted in the album 2012 Del Mar 2012
          This link should take you there. If you have additional photos, please post them.

          Lindley
        • Billhko
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
            First, I have to announce that Lajos called me on Thursday. He was very excited. He had his cataract surgery on Tuesday and, after two days and the removal of his eye patch, he cannot believe what he can see. It's like taking a picture with your digital camera and viewing it in the little screen on the back of your camera. It looks just great! You take it home and see it on your 24 inch monitor and nothing is in focus. Everything is blurred. With vision correction it's the opposite. If you have never had cataracts you cannot imagine what happens to your vision. I can watch TV with no seeming problems but trying to read emails on my computer is very difficult. Try seeing why your MT couplers won't couple. The couplers are just black blobs on the ends of your cars. Lajos will have his other eye fixed in January. I will visit my eye doctor next week to see if I can also have the surgery done soon.

            Lindley asked me to write a short piece about last week end's Del Mar Show. I started a couple of time but nothing gelled. After reading your posts on Yahoo Groups I got some inspiration. However, this last weekend was crazy. My daughter came over from La Quinta to help set up the Christmas tree, my wife's friend ended up in a hospital and yesterday my vision was so bad that I couldn't see to read on the monitor. Watching videos isn't a problem. Reading words is.

            One comment that is constantly made at our shows to me by the public is that Z scale is great because we can build layouts in small spaces. My response to that is, If this is true, why do we have the largest layout being exhibited in these shows? Not only larger but so large that we need TWICE the space of all of the others. More space than O scale and G scale. We generally have more trains operating simultaneously during a 15 minute period then all of the others have running all day. Besides having some of the most sophisticated electronics used in model railroading today we also seem to have the grandest scenery on display.

            At this show, we had 38 modules operating where less than ten members on hand to operate the trains during show time and even less to set the system up, work out the problems getting the system operating and to tear it down and pack it up at the end of the show. Go check out all of the other modular set ups. I don't think that any of them have more than 12 to 18 modules to set up and get running. On top of that I think that our tolerances are much more critical and require a higher level of skill.

            We do have some differences now and then. That is because a lot of the members are bosses in their jobs. That is one of the reasons why our stuff is so good. These guys demand excellence in their jobs and expect the same with their models. And to have so many with so much electronic experience makes our group ahead of most of the other groups. Things are being ironed out little by little. Some of the basic Z Track Module's guidelines need a little updating. Even our U.S. Constitution needed some amendments. I don't know who will spearhead that change but I think that it is inevitable. Maybe an addendum for the bubble headed end module with a larger radius curve. Maybe changing the plugs for carrying power between modules. Maybe going to Rokuhan track as the basic track to be used for the modules and the Rokuhan expanding connectors as standard equipment. 110 volt wiring running through all modules?

            These changes do not have to be ratified by all of the other Z Bend Track modular operators. If there ever is a time where ZoCal modules are connected to other modules, we can build some short connector modules where one end fits ZoCal and the other fits Z Bend Track modules. Or the modules can be connected like Lindley's and Henri's were at Del Mar.

            Rokuhan's success is based on model railroaders in Japan. The U.S market is an afterthought. There doesn't appear to be any other manufacturer on the horizon who will manufacture a full line of Z scale track. Actually, as all of you know, I am the guy who has no modules nor will I actively participate with your running trains on your modules so what do I know?

            At Del Mar someone asked me who Steven Fry is. Steven built the Pueblo Indian module. If he was still modeling he would probably be an Nn3 modeler. His skills with paint are unbelievable. He painted many of Lajo's SW-1 locomotives. No matter how complicated the paint job, Steve could do it. If you ever have the chance to see his N scale automobiles the paint jobs would amaze you. I have been around custom cars for most of my life. Back in the 50s and 60s the Barris Bros. were the best known custom car builders in Southern California. Many of their cars were seen in Hollywood movies. Among the car enthusiasts there were many custom car builders that were far better than the Barris Bros. The Barris Bros. cars were known as "Lead Sleds" because their body work was smoothed out by the use of lots and lots of lead. Today they would use Bondo. There were other custom car builders who used minimal lead because their skill with forming metal was much better. These cars were painted by super skilled car painters. 6-7 coats of lacquer paint, hand sanded between coats for a mirror like finish. Stevens N scale cars had that look. Totally amazing. Steven also did a lot of the work soldering up those connectors for our first train shows. I always look forward for Steven to visit us sometime at one of the shows.

            I don't know how ZoCal became a collection of some of the most talented model railroaders in Southern California. Over my many years I have been invited to join many model railroading clubs. My observation of most model RR clubs is that the quality of any layout built by that club generally falls to the level of the lowest common denominator. Somehow ZoCal has fought that trend, or maybe it is just that the common denominator of the members of ZoCal is head and shoulders above those other clubs that I knew. The BAZ Boys also have the very same qualities. Maybe the up and coming Super-Sonic Train between L.A. and S.F. will bring the two clubs closer together.

            I had a few more comments to make but if I didn't send this off now, it won't be finished before the Anaheim show.

            Bill
            El Toro, CA
          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
              Bill,
              What you say about ZoCal is so true.  ZoCal is a standard measuring rod for any group/club to measure up to.  And you're right about the electronic wizardry of so many members of ZoCal.  Your group is par excellence, but I'm also glad to see that folks realize there is always room for improvement in anything.
               It will be interesting to see each new development that comes out of ZoCal.

              And let's thank fuzzy faced Jim Manley for jump starting this group.  Take a bow Jim.

              Loren

[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

            • jthompson178@cox.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
                No wonder I feel so inferior ;-)

                Jeff T.
                (trying to measure up to) ZoCal
                ---- Billhko <billhko@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > I don't know how ZoCal became a collection of some of the most talented model railroaders in Southern California. Over my many years I have been invited to join many model railroading clubs. My observation of most model RR clubs is that the quality of any layout built by that club generally falls to the level of the lowest common denominator. Somehow ZoCal has fought that trend, or maybe it is just that the common denominator of the members of ZoCal is head and shoulders above those other clubs that I knew. The BAZ Boys also have the very same qualities. Maybe the up and coming Super-Sonic Train between L.A. and S.F. will bring the two clubs closer together.
                >
                > I had a few more comments to make but if I didn't send this off now, it won't be finished before the Anaheim show.

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
                  Jeff,

                  Just stop that!   Anyone belonging to ZoCal is a part of a morphing giant and force to be reckoned with.  Anyone participating in your group is valuable and will sooner or later make suggestions that will benefit the entire group.

                  Now, sit down and do some thinking and scheming.

                   On my part, I wish I were electronically blessed as some of you guys.  Some of you guys have forgotten more than I have ever known about electronics.  Your group is blessed indeed.

                  Loren

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012

                      You got me there.  Of course, crawling around on concrete floors setting up and tearing down modules is not exactly great for them either…I guess I should start saving me knees for Z scale?