Shows and postings

  • bobrnausa
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      I haven't seen any new postings in quite awhile on this site.

      Shows _ I just reread Jeff's (at least I think it was Jeff's)posting
      about shows. He was saying NMRA in 2008 will be huge. Can't argue
      since I have never been to one of those. However I have been to a
      worlds greatest hobby last year in Long Beach and that was awful big.
      Several thousand public attended. as well as vendors and many many
      manufacturers. I know there is going to be one up north, but I think
      ZoCal should try to do the one in San Diego. Or are they already
      planning to do that one?

      Bob
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
        Hi Bob,

        We at ZoCal are, in a way, a part of the BAZ boys group up in San
        Jose. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BAZ_modules

        The posts about shows and stuff are always posted to the BAZ group
        messages. If you are not a member of BAZ (Bay Area Z scale) you
        should join.

        The recent GAATS or WGH shows are similar to comparing a local high
        school game with Super Bowl Sunday. Maybe a little exageration but if
        you were bowled over by a recent WGH show you will be overwhelmed at
        the NTS. The first WGH show that was held at Pamona a few years ago
        was pretty good but the more recent ones have not been. The National
        Train Show is huge. You can spend a whole day there and never see
        everything.

        I go to the show see if I can find some old friends. At the last Long
        Beach show I chased an old friend who I hadn't seen in 30 years but I
        never caught up with him. At that first WGH show in Pamona I ran
        across a couple of old friends. I also met the new President of
        Athearn. From him I learned that my old Computer consultant who had
        an office upstairs from Irving's office had passed away. It is not
        such a large world.

        Every model RR manufacturer who can afford it shows up at the NTS. To
        be there as an exhibitor is a chance that should not be passed up.

        The word "awesome" is frequently used in these Yahoo groups but it
        certainly fits the NTS.

        We are scheduled to exhibit in San Diego in December and also in
        December a show in Anaheim.
        And then again to San Diego in Janurary.

        Here is the latest California state schedule from Jeff. Why all in
        Dec and January???

        > So here is the schedule in order:
        >
        > GTE San Jose Sept 29-30 Santa Clara County Fairgrounds
        > GTE Pleasanton November 24-25 Alameda County Fairgrounds
        > GTE San Diego December 01-02 Del Mar Fairgrounds
        > GTE Anaheim December 29-30 Anaheim Convention center (NEW DATE)
        > WGH Sacramento January 5-6 Sacramento Convention Center (NEW VENUE)
        > WGH San Diego January 12-13 Del Mar Fairgrounds (NEW VENUE)
        > GTE Sacramento Feb 02-03 Cal Expo
        > GTE San Francisco March 01-02 Cow Palace
        >
        > Jeff
        > SF Bay Area Z

        Bill
        El Toro, CA

        --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "bobrnausa" <bobrnausa@...> wrote:

        > I haven't seen any new postings in quite awhile on this site.
        >
        > Shows _ I just reread Jeff's (at least I think it was Jeff's)posting
        > about shows. He was saying NMRA in 2008 will be huge. Can't argue
        > since I have never been to one of those. However I have been to a
        > worlds greatest hobby last year in Long Beach and that was awful big.
        > Several thousand public attended. as well as vendors and many many
        > manufacturers. I know there is going to be one up north, but I think
        > ZoCal should try to do the one in San Diego. Or are they already
        > planning to do that one?
        >
        > Bob

      • Jeff BAZ-man
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
          Summertime usually brings a quiter time with vacations and kids out
          of school.

          Yep, there are 3 classes of shows. The Dec 2-3 San Diego (Del Mar
          fairgrounds/race track) show was about the usual vendors but there
          were a LOT of layouts there last year. The Dec 29-30 Anaheim show is
          a move up of last year's January show, likely due to there former
          parent WGH taking the January San Diego spot. I think WGH is taking
          advantage of the Left Coast upcoming NTS as they have 2 shows this
          winter (San Diego, Sacramento).

          The BAZ BoyZ won't make it to San Diego this year due to the nearly
          twice show density. We have the Thanksgiving weekend show up here
          and the moved up Anaheim date which we will make because it will be
          our first hook up. For us, we have to drive down Friday and back up
          Monday which I can't afford the time this year for San Diego. Same
          with the January 12-13 show as we have Sacramento WGH the weekend
          between !!!

          The ZoCal'Z have made GREAT progress since last winter and now have
          quite a few modules and growing still, plus a few shows under their
          belts. Now with some DCC converts, they are going to be locked in at
          the December show when they have trains running every which way at
          the same time when we hook up our modules with theirs.

          Jeff
          SF Bay Area Z