Where's Jim

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
      I found Jim hiding in Florida. Did you know that he uses an alias "Tomey"

      Oscar Sosa for The New York Times

      BRANFORD, Fla. — "Lots of artillery out there," an old man hollered
      from the safety of the Suwannee River's edge, and he was right. The
      sturgeon were jumping high and fast

      Jim Tomey, sitting by the riverbank, said watching for sturgeon was
      his summer ritual. "I love to come down here," Mr. Tomey said, "and
      sit and watch them fish jump."

      See photos in ZoCal Photo section. It is Jim. No doubt about it.

      I'll take this down after a few days. No need to clutter up the site.

      Bill
      el Toro, CA
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
        Naw, too skinny and old...must be his dad (his dad DOES live in Florida,
        ya know!)

        Plus, no techno gadgets, no flying things, no trains...can't be Jim.

        > I found Jim hiding in Florida. Did you know that he uses an alias "Tomey"
      • Lajos Thek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
          --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hoshiko" <billhko@...> wrote:

          > I found Jim hiding in Florida. Did you know that he uses an
          alias "Tomey"

          The guy is Jim's twin brother. He is a kind of cheap guy,
          want to fly without investing thousands and thousands into
          aircraft projects. He is actually learning some aspects of
          flying from the fish. He is planning to become the first
          human flying without wings or any other artificial help.
          (And he wants to do it before Jim gets one of his own
          aircrafts off the ground :-)

          Lajos
        • Steven Fry
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
            Better check those photos again

            John wrote:

            > Naw, too skinny and old...must be his dad (his dad DOES live in
            Florida,
            > ya know!)
            >
            > Plus, no techno gadgets, no flying things, no trains...can't be Jim.
            > >
            > > I found Jim hiding in Florida. Did you know that he uses an
            alias "Tomey"

          • jim_manley_alpha_six
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2007
              GreetingZ (well, maybe) GroperZ,

              So, Summertime, and the loZerZ are eaZy - to find, posting here,
              rather than out enjoying a wonderful Independence Day. Before I go
              any further with the frivolity, let's all take a moment to remember
              why we have this day off (well, most of uZ) - the price of freedom is
              anything, but free. As Thomas Jefferson so wisely wrote, "The tree of
              Liberty must be refreshed, from time to time, with the blood of
              patriots and tyrants." It's pretty clear, from what's been going on
              lately, that Tyranny is way overdue for a major fertilization
              appointment. Keep your eyes open, there is strength in numbers, and
              this, too, shall pass.

              OK, now for the subject at hand. Very funny. Oh, I'm just rolling on
              the floor, giggling like some Valley girl (Silicone, not Silicon, for
              a change :) from San Fernando, just down the freeway from the fork in
              the road, as Johnny Carson used to say. So, you've finally found my
              secret Summer vacation spot, and even managed to PhotoShop into my
              portrait Version 0.1 of the MicroTrack switching/classification yard I
              built at the Anaheim GTE last January (gawd, that seems like 1,000
              years ago). I will point out that I've got a pretty nice six-pack,
              there (no, abs, not beer, you ninnieZ! ;) I have been learning a lot
              about flyin' from the fishies there, too, as was so cleverly surmiZed
              by the more casual observerZ. The interesting parallel is that no one
              knows why they fly, and the same goes for me (especially in the
              aerodynamics-of-a-bumblebee helicopters). The fish also have a
              penchant for smacking people up-side the head, body, and limbs, often
              causing severe injuries (well, that's what you get for being an a-hole
              and driving a boat at 50+ mph through one of the half-dozen areas
              along the 265 mile-long Suwanee River where the fish are jumpin'.
              "Evolution in action", is all I can say (quick, what are the names of
              the science fiction authors and their novel in which this phrase was
              coined, and where did the story take place?). That's about all I'm
              gonna say the next time I'm down there and some fool happens to get
              between me and some food, especially the participantZ in this
              hilarious thread (so, forewarned may prevent getting forearmed! :)

              On a more on-topic note, I'm getting ready to submit our request for
              exhibition space at the GTE in Del Mar in December. How much space do
              we think we can fill? I'm thinking on the order of at least 20 x 20
              feet, maybe even as much as 20 x 40 feet, to accommodate the new
              moduleZ, BYOZ, and maybe our very own hot-dog stand within a private,
              curtained-off lounge area, where we can kick back and relax between
              rotationZ on show duty. Lemme know your guesstimateZ.

              I'll be spending this coming weekend completing the enclosure for the
              trailer for my autogyro, which will also come in handy for moving
              moduleZ, and I may also finish it off with some basic camper interior
              details, some of which may be designed to accept parts that can be
              moved between the Helicycle Hangar/BAZ-Mobile. The latter may be
              large enough to store, if not also transport, both the Helicycle and
              autogyro after both aircraft construction/reconstruction has been
              completed later this year. If the dual-storage possibility pans out,
              that would mean that the second trailer would be freed up for the
              train show seaZon, especially when the Winter weather is too poor to
              fly, for long-range trips where having a camper would be helpful, and
              when lots of moduleZ need to be moved (e.g., NTS 2008 in Anaheim).

              BTW, I was going to attend the 23 June gathering, but, relying on my
              memory, I had shifted the meeting in my mind to Sunday, the 24th -
              it's a good thing someone posted about the gathering Saturday morning,
              as I was preparing to drive down Saturday night! I hope to be able to
              attend whenever the next get-together will be, but, the next month, or
              so, are going to be busy, with a national experimental helicopter
              fly-in in Ohio the next-to-last weekend of July, AirVenture Oshkosh
              the last week of the month, and NTS in Detroit the last weekend.

              Until we meet again, and All Z BeZt.
              Jim