Re: Who is doing what?

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2007
      John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:

      > At this point I'm most concerned with the electrical connectors. Bill,
      > are you going to tackle that? Do you need the supplies?

      Hi John,

      To send me out to purchase electronic supplies is about the same as
      sending your local Taco Bell dishwasher to purchase surgical supplies.

      I do know that when selecting electrical wiring the larger number
      represents smaller wire. The larger the number the smaller the wire.
      Why? I don't know.

      I also know that the bigger the wire the easier it is for the
      electricity to flow. Smaller wire equals more resistance. I also
      know that volts hurt like hell but amps kill.

      That's about it.

      Bill
      El Toro, CA
    • trcaes
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
        Hello ZoCal:
        I apologize for my lack of participation in the Anaheim show. I got
        the unit about two weeks before...and I concerned myself with vain
        displays of my modeling ability. I did leave time to complete
        landscape, but after 15 hour days it seems that it appeared that I
        was ready to advance on the module to my left ('move by the left
        flank....')
        I apologize for this also-the center was undefended and I should have
        set up to turn in (just kidding). I am a "Kreigspeiler" by heart.
        The refinery progresses. I have purchased another 10 oil cars (sorry-
        Marklin couplers), but with the rest, enough to be impressive. I hope
        to make a respectable refinery you guys can roll the trains by. Lajos
        and I discussed some possibilities today.
        As mentioned, I invite you all to my house in Santa Monica (if you
        can make it), in early March to discuss common issues. I have
        invested in some common items, such as producing stop sign decals and
        various road signs. MY guy is behind, but I hope I can provide you
        each with road dividers (highway, blvd and st), along with possible
        parking lot options-all in decal form. Frankly, there may not be time
        by our meeting. Perhaps we can agree on some common road sizes-
        meeting places, etc.
        Hopefully we can cover some of the basic issues of making this look
        like 'one' railroad-and all of the many issues I see posted here. I
        made the mistake of trying too much in a short time. We all have some
        great ideas and each module seems to promise great things.
        Please be advised that due to my personal relationship, I may have
        some events to participate in early March. I cannot ignore these
        obligations-one concerns a very old insurance client in my own
        business.
        What I can offer is a good meal, drinks (though at your own
        peril/liability) and TWO hours (repeat-2 hours) in which to go over
        things. My woman is in the middle of making a movie in NM and will be
        editing, bla, bla, bla, in early March here in LA. I must take her
        rest into consideration. I apologize AGAIN...but this is her business
        and I can't explain how hard she works. I guess that's why Forrest
        Gump's bench is in my back yard...
        If successful, we can repeat the process in the future-here. I just
        ask you to consider that Michelle's business is very strange-with
        strange hours and I am at the mercy of her schedule in many ways.
        (Christ, I try and be a 'good wife' in my year off for charity-but
        trust me: be glad you're a man).
        Please take the time to consider the most important issues we face as
        a 'team' over the next few weeks. Perhaps we can arrive at an agenda
        which will make the meeting much more enjoyable. Instead of a
        hostess, you will have a host, though Michelle may be able to
        participate. She's always excited about all this stuff because of a
        special project we are doing for some kids.
        Please let me know if there are any diet considerations we must make,
        or if you have a drink you prefer. Our cellars are stocked with fine
        wines and Port, and I keep Stoli on hand: 100ml a day keeps the
        Germans away!
        Anyway, there will be other beverages (sane, non-alcoholic) and I'd
        like you all to enjoy yourselves. I only ask that we be concise and
        not go off on tangents (and we are all gentlemen): there is time
        enough in life for every issue, but I'd like to accomplish a common
        purpose-just one would be a good start. Please forward me your
        feedback, and my skin is thick so say it true.
        With five or six guys, two hours should be more than enough if we
        keep headed in a general direction. I don't care if it's common
        landscape, roads, businesses, etc. Our meeting will be more
        productive if we can concentrate on a few baisc issues-not many and
        not deeply technical issues like DCC or whatever at this early stage.
        PLEASE FORWARD THE ONE TOPIC YOU FIND MOST IMPORTANT TO THIS MEETING.
        I'D REALLY LIKE TO AGREE ON THAT BEFORE WE EVEN SET A DATE.
        Regards,
        Tim
        Regards,
        Tim

        --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@...> wrote:

        > --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "John Duino" <jduino@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I can think of a neat looking module...
        >
        > Well, we have five already built modules with lots of
        > possibilities. I would prefer to work on those and
        > make them pieces of modular art, so we can have a
        > wonderful presentation next time. The big center
        > "Y" module is available to anyone, it can be picked
        > up at Bill's house in El Toro. Also, what about the
        > electrical connectors, painting of sides and better
        > looking skirting?
        >
        > Lajos

      • trcaes
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
> [...]
          not deeply technical issues like DCC or whatever at this early stage.
          PLEASE FORWARD THE ONE TOPIC YOU FIND MOST IMPORTANT TO THIS MEETING.
          I'D REALLY LIKE TO AGREE ON THAT BEFORE WE EVEN SET A DATE.
          Regards,
          Tim
          Regards,
          Tim

          --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@...> wrote:

          > --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "John Duino" <jduino@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I can think of a neat looking module...
          >
          > Well, we have five already built modules with lots of
          > possibilities. I would prefer to work on those and
          > make them pieces of modular art, so we can have a
          > wonderful presentation next time. The big center
          > "Y" module is available to anyone, it can be picked
          > up at Bill's house in El Toro. Also, what about the
          > electrical connectors, painting of sides and better

        • trcaes
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
> [...]
            not deeply technical issues like DCC or whatever at this early stage.
            PLEASE FORWARD THE ONE TOPIC YOU FIND MOST IMPORTANT TO THIS MEETING.
            I'D REALLY LIKE TO AGREE ON THAT BEFORE WE EVEN SET A DATE.
            Regards,
            Tim
            Regards,
            Tim

            --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@...> wrote:

            > --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "John Duino" <jduino@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I can think of a neat looking module...
            >
            > Well, we have five already built modules with lots of
            > possibilities. I would prefer to work on those and
            > make them pieces of modular art, so we can have a
            > wonderful presentation next time. The big center
            > "Y" module is available to anyone, it can be picked
            > up at Bill's house in El Toro. Also, what about the
            > electrical connectors, painting of sides and better

          • Lajos Thek
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2007
              --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:

              > So I would gladly open my garage and my shop for all to
              > attendone saturday or sunday. My available days ahead...
              > Feb 25

              This one left, so we should grab it. Two more weeks to
              have some planning done, it should be enough.

              Lajos
            • John Duino
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2007
                I'm still open and willing on this....however, with today's rain my last
                softball game got postponed to, you guessed it, Feb 25. It's from
                12:30-2, so I should be home by 2:30. Is that putting it too late for
                everyone/anyone? You could always turn it into an extra field
                trip...the UP mainline runs by my house (<100 yards away), and they are
                in the middle of building a new Metrolink station nearby, so there could
                be some good train watching for those wanting to hang out there. Or for
                the air-minded of us, I'm also right next to Fullerton Municipal
                Airport. I hear trains toot'ing and planes buzzing day and night :)

                My only other personal distraction is getting my taxes ready...maybe I
                can get Bill to work on those for me ;-)

                John

                On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 16:58 +0000, Lajos Thek wrote:
                > --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > So I would gladly open my garage and my shop for all to
                > > attendone saturday or sunday. My available days ahead...
                > > Feb 25
                >
                > This one left, so we should grab it. Two more weeks to
                > have some planning done, it should be enough.
                >
                > Lajos
              • Bill Hoshiko
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 16, 2007
                  --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:

                  > I'm still open and willing on this....however, with today's rain my
                  last softball game got postponed to, you guessed it, Feb 25.

                  Hi,

                  It appears that the March get together won't happen so let's postpone
                  meeting at J. Duino's for another day when we will have a little more
                  time.

                  Perhaps the delay will give Jim the chance to finish his helo training
                  and he can fly down instead of driving. The Fullerton air port is
                  just across the fence fro John's place.

                  Later,

                  Bill
                  El Toro, CA
                • jim_manley_alpha_six
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 16, 2007
                    GreetingZ GuyZ (do we have any GalZ, yet?),

                    With all the traveling I've been doing lately, a weekend off at home
                    would be nice, and being able to spend some time on my flight training
                    would probably help me finally get to my check ride with the FAA
                    examiner (rumor has it that they're wanna-be proctologists :) We were
                    down to one helo at the school this morning due to periodic preventive
                    maintenance, and then even it was grounded due to fog. My instructor
                    doesn't fly on Sundays, so I will always be able to travel for ZoCal
                    meetingZ Sundays, except in a couple of weeks, when the BAZ BoyZ will
                    be making their last stand for the train show seaZon at the Cow Palace
                    South of San Francisco on 3 - 4 March. Once I get past my first solo
                    helo flight, my instructor's availability will drop out of the
                    equation, and then my flying will "only" be limited by the weather and
                    maintenance downtime (although we just lost one helo for its normal
                    periodic major overhaul for the next few months). I would be able to
                    fly to the Fullerton airport in one of my flying club's fixed-wing
                    aircraft like a Cessna or Piper (and, eventually, my own highly-pimped
                    aero-ride :)

                    BTW, I haven't heard back from the Fullerton folks about whether there
                    will be room at the inn for us at their show in May, so I need to
                    check on that next week after I recover from my trip to Portland this
                    weekend (we're gonna miss youZ guyZ, but maybe the next West Coast
                    World's Greatest Hobby Show will be in ZoCal's back yard in a year or
                    two). In the meantime, keep looking for additional exhibition
                    opportunitieZ through the rest of the year, even in places that you
                    wouldn't initially think of model railroading (how about putting on
                    our own shows at covered areas in parks where we can BBQ, in
                    libraries, museums, and schools, at local NMRA division meetings, etc.?).

                    All Z BeZt,
                    Jim