Sausage update

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
      I'm progressing slowly. My cork is down (although I am having some
      problems with the ends lifting off...a little thin CA seems to help). I
      got a little time tonight to solder my feeders to the track (and spend
      some time teaching my oldest son how to solder). I'm jealous that Lajos
      got some water and bridge onto his module...I'll eventually (probably)
      next weekend to get that done. I'll lay track tomorrow afternoon and get
      some ballast down in the hope that the cork will stop moving. Foam hills
      are next.

      As for controllers, I have a Jorger that I can bring along and also one
      of the MTL-modified units.

      Lajos, I did get your message tonight, thanks. I'll let you know if I
      need anything.

      If anybody is up for a trip up to Buena Park you are more than welcome
      in my shop. I should be home around 1pm. Call me for directions
      310-993-9188.

      Getting excited yet? I sure am!

      John
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
        John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:

        > Getting excited yet? I sure am!
        >
        > John

        Happy New Year John,

        It is infectious! Lajos did all the heavy lifting. Track laying is
        serious but all the rest is just fun. There is no need to build
        rivers or lakes.

        Once the track is down you can test it by running a train back and
        forth. You needed to solder some drop down electrical wires. Hook up
        a power pack add your AC-12 and run it back and forth on both tracks.
        The pony trucks on the Cab Forward should pick any irregularities in
        the track and if the engine negotiates all the track you have
        electrical continuity.

        Have your engine pull a couple of your lightest cars and see if they
        wobble or see if a car being pushed in front of a locomotive stays on
        the rails. You can use one of your diesels for this. Run a train of
        three or four cars. One car alone is not a good test. Without
        knowing, you may have picked the best tracking car in your fleet. All
        these tests should be done using power. Hand pushing is not enough.
        Don't ask me why.

        If you make mountains and tunnels check for clearance with one of
        MTL's Gunderson Husky Stack cars. That should check for proper height
        clearance. If your AC-12 can make it through the tunnels you will
        have plenty of side clearance. Those of us who don't have an AC-12
        can ask John for a loan of his. He posted his address specially for
        that purpose. What a guy!

        Happy new year to your family.

        Bill
        El Toro, CA
      • John Duino
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
          > There is no need to build rivers or lakes.

          Need? No, just a desire. As we/some of us are modeling Central Coast-ish
          scenery, and I spent MANY an hour hiking and horseback riding through
          the hills of SLO, small rivers and streams are a requirement to me.

          Great testing procedure, too...mighty generous of me to volunteer my
          baby/monster loc, too ;)

          Off to go lay some track!

          John
        • Jeff Merill
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
            John:
            ordinary white or yellow carpenter's glue holds the cork down to wood
            really well. What are you gluing it down with or to?

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:

            > > There is no need to build rivers or lakes.
            >
            > Need? No, just a desire. As we/some of us are modeling Central Coast-
            ish
            > scenery, and I spent MANY an hour hiking and horseback riding through
            > the hills of SLO, small rivers and streams are a requirement to me.
            >
            > Great testing procedure, too...mighty generous of me to volunteer my
            > baby/monster loc, too ;)
            >
            > Off to go lay some track!
            >
            > John

          • John Duino
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
              Lajos supplied the cord, which has a sticky side. I sprayed the module
              top with 3M Super90, let it get nice and tacky, then applied the cork.
              It is ONLY the very ends that came loose. Talking with others they had
              similar problems. A little thin CA seemed to do the trick.

              On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 05:44 +0000, Jeff Merill wrote:
              > John:
              > ordinary white or yellow carpenter's glue holds the cork down to wood
              > really well. What are you gluing it down with or to?
              >
              > Jeff
              > SF Bay Area Z
              >
              > --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > There is no need to build rivers or lakes.
              > >
              > > Need? No, just a desire. As we/some of us are modeling Central Coast-
              > ish
              > > scenery, and I spent MANY an hour hiking and horseback riding through
              > > the hills of SLO, small rivers and streams are a requirement to me.
              > >
              > > Great testing procedure, too...mighty generous of me to volunteer my
              > > baby/monster loc, too ;)
              > >
              > > Off to go lay some track!
              > >
              > > John
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bill Hoshiko
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
                Hi,

                I forgot to thank John Duino for assistance in determining the side
                clearance for the bridge.

                Lajos, being a Hungarian craftsman who builds very expensive legal
                offices, uses millimeters when measuring. I use, "about an eighth of
                an inch" and think that I am being meticulous. Lajos had John
                measuring clearance using the AC-12, Marklin curved track and a block
                of wood. Measuring with all drivers on the curve and the pony truck
                on the tangent and then four axles on the curve and four axles on the
                tangent and five axles on the tangent and three axles on the curve,
                each time taking measurements from the nearest rail to the block of
                wood at the clearance point.

                He also had John checking the inside clearance. I suggested that
                Lajos just widen the bridge or make a new one. It seems that this
                bridge is made of 56+ pieces of styrene. No photo. I forgot to bring
                my camera again.

                There is no need for a standards gauge. When Lajos builds his Z scale
                Big Boy, the clearance needs may change again.

                When double stacks appeared on the American RRs the American RRs dug
                the tracks in their tunnels deeper in order to have over head
                clearance. A whole lot cheaper than lifting the mountain. New modern
                equipment could move a lot of dirt in a very short time. Where I live
                in a So Cal canyon the developers would totally remove 150 ft hills
                and where there was a hill covered with cactus now there is a Dodge
                dealership sitting in a hollow.

                Some tunnels were "day lighted". In towns where whole cities were
                built above the RR tunnels they had problems but out in the
                countryside, where only gophers had homes, they just removed all of
                the soil above the tracks. They had to move fast before the Green
                People found out because this dirt moving operation destroyed the
                native animal paths going from one side of the tracks to the other. I
                better not say this too loudly or the Green people will demand
                crossing guards for the animals.

                It must be the day after New Years. I still don't have my bearings.

                By,

                Bill
                El Toro, CA
              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Bearings........the little things that are supposed to make life move smoothly.     I must be out of bearings..

                  Green people..........those who don't own any Z scale.

                  Yes Bill, it is the day after New Years........but it still feels like Monday to me.

                  Looking forward to your upcoming show report.

                  Camera..........don't leave home without it.

                  Credit card......definitely leave home without it.......you'll have more spendable green for Z and not end up like those other folks :o)

                  Loren