Re: [ZoCal] We are in: GTE Del Mar 2009

  • Matthew Petach
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009

      Man, everyone has gotten things running so smoothly, here's everyone
      running trains during the thick of things on Staturday at the San Jose
      show:

      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.09.26-GTE-San-Jose/IMG_1836.JPG
      (yes, that's middle of the afternoon, with at least 4 trains running...people are
      holding their throttles just in case, but it really has gotten that laid back)
      Of course, that doesn't keep Jeff from being freaked out at being the only
      one left to guard the modules. :D
      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.09.26-GTE-San-Jose/IMG_1837.JPG

      As for the autoracks...I know Jeff has better shots...but here's one or two
      previews:

      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.29-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3524.JPG
      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.29-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3560.JPG
      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.29-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3563.JPG
      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.29-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3567.JPG
      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.29-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3583.JPG

      and, last but not least, a blurry shot of Hien's CN SD40's with nicely done
      ditch lights up front:
      http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.29-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3516.JPG

      A very fun show!

      Matt
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009
        Did one of you take pictures of that train that carried those sausages around the layout?

        Bill
        Hiding in the South land.

        >Hola mi Compadres. We just finished our Pleasanton show with one of our best running shows.
        >Rob Ray and new N scale covert Hien (yes, there is more than one Dave Lancaster), were running
        >their new super detailed SD-40's while Matt, Chris and I pulled a few more trains. I had a 24 car
        >string of Autoracks with a single SD70 but on Sunday, Hien brought some total weathered and graffiti
        >versions to trade with me :) See TrainBoard and Z Central Station for pix (shortly).
        >
        >I personally cannot make it down for the Del Mar show as it's my almost birthday weekend and my
        >friends want to go sailing.
        >
        >Have a great run !
        > Jeff
        >SF Bay Area Z

        Man, everyone has gotten things running so smoothly, here's everyone
        running trains during the thick of things on Staturday at the San Jose
        show:

        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.09.26- GTE-San-Jose/ IMG_1836. JPG
        (yes, that's middle of the afternoon, with at least 4 trains running...people are
        holding their throttles just in case, but it really has gotten that laid back)
        Of course, that doesn't keep Jeff from being freaked out at being the only
        one left to guard the modules. :D
        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.09.26- GTE-San-Jose/ IMG_1837. JPG

        As for the autoracks... I know Jeff has better shots...but here's one or two
        previews:

        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.11.29- GTE-pleasanton/ IMG_3524. JPG
        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.11.29- GTE-pleasanton/ IMG_3560. JPG
        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.11.29- GTE-pleasanton/ IMG_3563. JPG
        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.11.29- GTE-pleasanton/ IMG_3567. JPG
        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.11.29- GTE-pleasanton/ IMG_3583. JPG

        and, last but not least, a blurry shot of Hien's CN SD40's with nicely done
        ditch lights up front:
        http://zbend. netflight. com/~mpetach/ 2009.11.29- GTE-pleasanton/ IMG_3516. JPG

        A very fun show!

        Matt

      • Lindley Ruddick
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009

          Matt,

          Thanks for the pictures. It would be better for those of us whose connections are not T1 but so called high speed access via Cox.net if you could reduce the size of the pictures to something rather than mega-mega pixels. Great quality but it sure takes a long time to download.

          BTW was it at San Jose or Pleasanton?

          Lindley

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        • sjbazman49@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009
          • donfedjur@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009
              G............count the great white Elephant in...............all dayz

              Don Fedjur

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009

                Getting set up, with the outer loop in place...
                http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.28-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3464.JPG

                Inner squiggle almost done...
                http://zbend.netflight.com/~mpetach/2009.11.28-GTE-pleasanton/IMG_3465.JPG

                And, a nausea-inducing view of the squiggles in action:
                http://www.flipshare.com/view.aspx?nRecipient=MjIxNjY3Y2EtNDczYi00MDRjLWE4ODgtZTM5ZTJhMmNiYjc3&nFrame=MzhlNzU5NTgtYTdjNi00YmU1LTlmNjktMDE4NDc5OGVmZTg0&nMedia=OTE4M2UwMjEtYTBhZS00MDRkLWEzYmItNzVjOTAzYzhlMmRi&nContext=f1DjpAqaZDznrO2rCllEorpgWfBR9U&nMethod=WlcxaGFXdz0=

                >However, the number one question we got the whole weekend was, "Where did you
                >get the pink and blue foam???" Lindley got a big plug, as did Home Despot. The
                >latter is carrying a new generation of pink Owens-Corning foam that meets what is
                >apparently an updated CA code for flammability that the old foam didn't meet (better
                >be like an elf under your layout if you used the old pink foam - "Making a list and
                >checking it twice, gonna find out whose foam does alight - Santa Claus is fight-ing your fire!" ;)

                No kidding--I wasn't at the table that often, but each time I swung by, I
                heard people asking over and over where we got the foam. If we'd had a
                truck full out in back, we could have done a brisk business selling it,
                it seemed.

                >All ZeeT BeZT,
                >Jim

                Apologies for the size of the files; I try to only post a few URLs so that
                there's not that much for people to have to download to see.

                Matt
              • Jim Manley
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
                  GreeTingZ Matt,

                  ThankZ for posting the photoZ and video, but, how do we log into FlipShare to see the squiggle video?  Do we use your e-mail address and a public password?

                  And, a nausea-inducing view of the squiggles in action:

                  Windows LiveT Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.
                • Matthew Petach
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Hi Matt,

                      Thanks for the high level views.  David L has done some of that earlier but your high level views show why I don't participate much with the modules.  When all that you have is eye level viewing, you just don't get to see much.

                      Viewing Jeff's yard module from eye level I only see the cars in the foreground.  From the high level I can see a whole bunch of trains.  A totally different sight.

                      The ability to watch trains operating on both sides of the module also gives me an entirely different prospective.  I wouldn't ask you tall guys to lower the layout because then you guys would have to operate the trains all bent over.  It makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

                      Thanks again, Matt.  Besides the trains and modules getting better, the videos are also getting better.  David L. is going into video production with music and all.  I'm waiting for the dancing girls to do an opening act.

                      Bill
                      El Toro, CA

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
                        Bill,
                        Then you would really appreciate our 39" show height at Medford last weekend.  Just your size.......
                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
                          Do you guys have photos or videos?

                          Bill
                          El Toro, CA

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
                            GreeTingZ Matt,

                            Ah, that works mo' bettah!  Houston, we have video - the Zevolution _will_ be televised!

                            Well, DUH!  Why didn't I think to look at the URL to make sure it ended in "OTE4M2UwMjEtYTBhZS00MDRkLWEzYmItNzVjOTAzYzhlMmRi"? ;)

                            ThankZ a bunch, and All ZeeT BeZT,
                            Jim

                            To: ZoCal@yahoogroups.com; zocal@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mpetach@...
                            Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:38:09 -0800

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009

                              Hi Lindley,
                              I have uploaded the pictures to Flickr, to see if that makes it easier
                              for people to view them:

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/77519640@N00/

                              Does that make it easier to view them? ^_^;

                              Sorry about the big links before.

                              Matt
                            • Lindley Ruddick
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009

                                Matt,

                                YES!  YES!!  YES!!!  Merci! Gracias! Wunberbar! And all that.

                                Now I suppose someone will bitch about they can’t enlarge them to room wall sized without pixelation. Ya’ can’t win!

                                By the way – did I say thanks?  LOL!!!