11-1-09 UPDATE TO 12-4/5/6-09 ONTARIO GTE SHOW

  • elruddick
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
      I just received the following. Guess we won't be going to the December 4/5/6, 2009 GTE show at the Ontario Convention Center. I am disappointed but personally relieved as I would not have been able to attend any day as that weekend is completely filled with grandchildren events.
      I believe I should reply expressing our disappointment but ask if there are other Z scale layouts being featured or other scale layouts that allow the attendees an up close and personal experience with layouts and model railroaders.
      It is also doubtful if I will be able to attend the January 2010 Anaheim GTE show as I will probably be visiting my son and his family in northern California.
      I plan on spending the entire 3 days at the Del Mar GTE show on December 11/12/13, 2009
      Lindley

      Lindley,
      I have completed the floorplan for the December Ontario, CA show. I find myself in a position of having more layouts requesting space at the show than I have space.
      I hate to turn away anyone interested in participating, but in this case, that is what I must do. There is simply no way I can fit your group into the show. I am very, very sorry.
      However, I am making your group the first group confirmed for our Anaheim show on January 2 & 3, 2010. This e-mail will serve as confirmation of your space for the January show.
      If I receive any cancellations for the December Ontario show, I will let you know right away. Again, I am very sorry I could not get you in.

      Sincerely,

      Bill Grove

      Great Train Expo

      a division of Train Expo Inc.

      Bill@...

      www.GreatTrainExpo.com

      630/608-4988 Office

      630/566-0400 Fax
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
        Lindley,
        That is a bummer, but those things happen. Last year at Portland there was
        enough space left over to have accommodated at least another half dozen
        large layouts. It was a poorly attended show. I still got my money for
        attending so I wasn't disappointed.

        I know Bill and he certainly did feel bad for not allowing you to show, but
        there will be another day and you guys will once again rock their socks off.

        Best,
        Loren

      • sjbazman49@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
          Bill Grove really likes Z and that we often work on stuff (and many of us have done classes). He does a good job of keeping layouts in proportion so if they are too large, percentage-wise, for their scale, he'll cut them down. And he gets pissed when new groups bring in lots of bare wood but does favor new locals versus regionals. He knows we can go all the way down to BYOZ so get to the ontario show during the end of setup (not too late, sometimes he takes off early) and look for some slackers or incorrectly allocated space options. Lots of times, the venue drawings don't match and there is lots of space. In the past, you have to be in the layout section, not in an empty vendor space.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          >I just received the following. Guess we won't be going to the December
          >4/5/6, 2009 GTE show at the Ontario Convention Center. I am disappointed
          >but personally relieved as I would not have been able to attend any day as
          >that weekend is completely filled with grandchildren events.
          > I believe I should reply expressing our disappointment but ask if there
          > are other Z scale layouts being featured or other scale layouts that allow
          > the attendees an up close and personal experience with layouts and model
          > railroaders.
          > It is also doubtful if I will be able to attend the January 2010 Anaheim
          > GTE show as I will probably be visiting my son and his family in northern
          > California.
          > I plan on spending the entire 3 days at the Del Mar GTE show on December
          > 11/12/13, 2009
          > Lindley
          >
          > Lindley,
          > I have completed the floorplan for the December Ontario, CA show. I find
          > myself in a position of having more layouts requesting space at the show
          > than I have space.
          > I hate to turn away anyone interested in participating, but in this case,
          > that is what I must do. There is simply no way I can fit your group into
          > the show. I am very, very sorry.
          > However, I am making your group the first group confirmed for our Anaheim
          > show on January 2 & 3, 2010. This e-mail will serve as confirmation of
          > your space for the January show.
          > If I receive any cancellations for the December Ontario show, I will let
          > you know right away. Again, I am very sorry I could not get you in.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Bill Grove
          >
          > Great Train Expo
          >
          > a division of Train Expo Inc.
          >

          > Bill@...
          >
          > www.GreatTrainExpo.com
          >

          > 630/608-4988 Office
          >
          > 630/566-0400 Fax

        • Jim Manley
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
            GreeTingZ Lindley and Other Fellow HermanoZ LocoZ,

            If we build it, they will come ... to find that we're not quitters.  It's hard (not impossible, but hard) to not find us somewhere to set something up, even if it's just one BYOZ table, if we're standing around with puppy dog eyes during setup.  Heck, that's only enough room for G scalers to set up a loco checkout station.

            I'm still willing to come down, even if it turns out to only be a minimal exhibition opportunity, or we just wind up at John's shootin' the breeze (and anything else that wanders into range :)  As you will see in the Photos section soon, I've continued to make progress on my Terrific Ten new moduleZ - benchwork framing is done, I'm over half done getting the foam bases installed, and have track laid on two.

            See you wherever that weekend, along with Del Mar and Anaheim, and All ZeeT BeZT,
            Jim

            To: ZoCal@yahoogroups.com
            From: sjbazman49@...
            Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 06:31:00 +0000

            Bill Grove really likes Z and that we often work on stuff (and many of us have done classes). He does a good job of keeping layouts in proportion so if they are too large, percentage-wise, for their scale, he'll cut them down. And he gets pissed when new groups bring in lots of bare wood but does favor new locals versus regionals. He knows we can go all the way down to BYOZ so get to the ontario show during the end of setup (not too late, sometimes he takes off early) and look for some slackers or incorrectly allocated space options. Lots of times, the venue drawings don't match and there is lots of space. In the past, you have to be in the layout section, not in an empty vendor space.

            >I just received the following. Guess we won't be going to the

            > December 4/5/6, 2009 GTE show at the Ontario Convention Center.

            > I am disappointed but personally relieved as I would not have been

            > able to attend any day as that weekend is completely filled with

            > grandchildren events. I believe I should reply expressing our

            > disappointment but ask if there are other Z scale layouts being

            > featured or other scale layouts that allow the attendees an up

            > close and personal experience with layouts and model railroaders.
            > It is also doubtful if I will be able to attend the January 2010

            > Anaheim GTE show as I will probably be visiting my son and his

            > family in northern California.
            > I plan on spending the entire 3 days at the Del Mar GTE show on

            > December 11/12/13, 2009
            > Lindley
            >
            > Lindley,
            > I have completed the floorplan for the December Ontario, CA show.

            > I find myself in a position of having more layouts requesting space

            > at the show than I have space.
            > I hate to turn away anyone interested in participating, but in this

            > case, that is what I must do. There is simply no way I can fit your

            > group into the show. I am very, very sorry.
            > However, I am making your group the first group confirmed for our

            > Anaheim show on January 2 & 3, 2010. This e-mail will serve as

            > confirmation of your space for the January show.
            > If I receive any cancellations for the December Ontario show, I will
            > let you know right away. Again, I am very sorry I could not get you

            > in.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Bill Grove
            >
            > Great Train Expo
            > a division of Train Expo Inc.
            >
            > Bill@TrainExpoInc. com
            >
            > www.GreatTrainExpo. com
            > 630/608-4988 Office
            > 630/566-0400 Fax

            Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
              Hi Lindley,

              We win some we lose some but as I understand it, the schedule right now is:

              12/12 - 12/13  Del Mar

              1/2 - 1/3  Anaheim

              1/17 - 1/18 San Bernardino RR Museum

              2/13 - 2/14  WGH  Long Beach

              5/1 - 5/2  Brea Railroad Days

              I don't remember if all of these have been have been agreed to but this schedule looks good.  I also understand that we have yet to receive confirmation from the shows.

              Let me know if I am missing something.

              Bill
              El Toro, CA

            • Robert Toole
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
                Guys,
                I just received an email that the European Train Enthusiasts HOac layout has also been deleted from the show.  He did offer the group a space at the Anaheim show in January.  They will be at the Del Mar show in December.
                I just thought I would share this with the group.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009

                    Just to let you know that the N'Land Pacific group has also been dropped from the show in Ontario. We were also offered Del Mar but politely turned it down due to transportation costs and distance.

                    Bob

                    --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "elruddick" <elruddick@...> wrote:

                    > I just received the following. Guess we won't be going to the December 4/5/6, 2009 GTE show at the Ontario Convention Center. I am disappointed but personally relieved as I would not have been able to attend any day as that weekend is completely filled with grandchildren events.
                    > I believe I should reply expressing our disappointment but ask if there are other Z scale layouts being featured or other scale layouts that allow the attendees an up close and personal experience with layouts and model railroaders.
                    > It is also doubtful if I will be able to attend the January 2010 Anaheim GTE show as I will probably be visiting my son and his family in northern California.
                    > I plan on spending the entire 3 days at the Del Mar GTE show on December 11/12/13, 2009
                    > Lindley
                    >
                    > Lindley,
                    > I have completed the floorplan for the December Ontario, CA show. I find myself in a position of having more layouts requesting space at the show than I have space.
                    > I hate to turn away anyone interested in participating, but in this case, that is what I must do. There is simply no way I can fit your group into the show. I am very, very sorry.
                    > However, I am making your group the first group confirmed for our Anaheim show on January 2 & 3, 2010. This e-mail will serve as confirmation of your space for the January show.
                    > If I receive any cancellations for the December Ontario show, I will let you know right away. Again, I am very sorry I could not get you in.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > Bill Grove
                    >
                    > Great Train Expo
                    >
                    > a division of Train Expo Inc.
                    >

                    > Bill@...
                    >
                    > www.GreatTrainExpo.com
                    >

                    > 630/608-4988 Office
                    >
                    > 630/566-0400 Fax

                  • Lindley Ruddick
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009

                      Welcome to the club! LOL!!

                      I suspect it is a matter of economics. It costs them for layout space for which they get no immediate or guaranteed return. In fact we cost them $$$ as they pay us to show up. Perhaps we generate revenue with increased number of people through the door but you never know. I suspect the general pubic show up to see the layouts and buy little except Thomas, shirts and whistles. It will be interesting to see the attendance figures (which will probably never be privy to). Oh well, life goes on and this IS only a HOBBY that sucks up out discretionary $$$.

                      We have been assured a place in Anaheim over Jan 1, 2 & 3. Poor timing in my opinion. I will probably be in northern California with my son and his family.

                      We have not heard about Del Mar  the second week end in December but have been there for the last 3 years. We will see.

                      Lindley

                      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                    • Ellen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 9, 2009
                        FYI

                        The Midwezt Haulers were not accepted for the Collinsville, Il show. We also were disappointed. We were given the same reason as posted on our web site. Just as we began to become sure of our place in the shows we seem to be losing it.

                        Ellen
                        Indianapolis

                      • sjbazman49@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9, 2009
                          Strange. I wonder how much of this is space versus paying us. At some shows, some extra space has to be purchased, a balance between paying for the space AND us. Applicants have the option of requesting or requiring the standard payout. It states that those not requiring it will be favored. Bill Grove knows we will show in any case, but its appreciated when they do (for us, everytime). He says he really does want us amazing Z scalers there. But I suspect that some economic impact may be forcing smaller venues (although he contracts out for 10 years on these venues to get great prices. No on knows about there specific show unless they go and ask. Make sure you survey the space to see if someone got far more than they needed (and did not fill, had total bare modues [show doesn't like that] or wasted space full of stuff that should be stored off site).

                          Show management does keep a mental database of who over requests and no-shows.

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T