1st ZoCal meeting

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2006
      Hi folks,

      Jim has finaly got us to get someting into motion.

      Lajos has offered his "studio" (formerly his slave quarters) as a
      place for our first get together.

      Copied from Lajo's message in Z_scale Groups: Lajos Thek's place in
      Long Beach, Sunday 02/12/06 1:00 PM. Please contact me for
      directions at olaj@... or call (562)481-1381

      Even if you do not entend to be an active member of this group, you
      should visit his manufacturing facility and staff.

      His studio is within a half block of the beach and the area is
      crammed with multi-storied apartments and condos. Parking is at a
      premium. I will be driving from the I-5 and the 405 "Y". If you
      want to carpool please call. 949-768-3997 or email me at:
      billhko @ yahoo. com (remove the spaces)

      I drive there by the way of the 405 to the Cherry Ave off ramp.
      Then South to Ocean Blvd. If you see fishes swimming past your
      windshield, you went too far. Back up. Next, a right about a 1/4
      mile to 7th Pl. These streets only go from Ocean Blvd to the water
      and are only on the South side of Ocean blvd. No street signs on
      the inland side of Ocean Blvd.

      If Jim will be bringing his modules down here we should be organized
      enough to help him.

      Z Scale Hobo: http://www.zscalehobo.com/ will also have a booth at
      the Pomona show.

      I hope that we can generate some active interest in Z scale here. I
      am getting old. The body refuses to function. Even a visit to
      Hooters doesn't inspire anything.

      Bill H.
      El Toro, CA
    • jim_manley_alpha_six
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2006
        GreetingZ GroupieZ,

        Well, the group is barely a week old, and already I've fallen behind
        in carrying out the duties of the office on which I have (temporarily,
        I certainly hope) embarked, or however we used to say that in the
        Navy, as Bill has already posted Message Number One, which is
        traditionally sent by the founder (speaking of accurate Navy
        terminology, "founder", in verb form, certainly accurately describes
        the state of my Ship of State) to welcome everyone to the group. In
        my defense, I had been writing a welcome-aboard message, but fell
        asleep while working on it around 3 ~ 4 AM every night this past week.

        So, without any further ado about nothing, welcome, everyone! Thanks
        to Bill for cross-posting Lajos' very generous offer to host the first
        (of many, we can only hope :) ZoCal meeting at his studio on Sunday,
        February 26th (which I will certainly set aside time to attend, just
        for the opportunity to see his workshop, locos under development, and
        layout(s)).

        I'm really looking forward to the one-day show in Pomona on February
        25th, because two-day shows are exhausting like you can't imagine. I
        usually wind up talking non-stop, my throat often gets sore, and at
        this time of the year, I inevitably get a cold that turns into the flu
        or even mild pneumonia (although it helps living in California, where
        a frigid day is in the high 50s! :) One day of talking is much less
        than half as stressful on my throat as two days, because of the
        cumulative damage. Yes, I drink all the right throat-lubing stuff,
        use very effective Cepacol throat losenges, wear a muffler wrapped
        around my neck (which garners all sorts of very curious stares, but
        those may just be the normal stares I attract - must be the hat with
        the Z Scale patches on it! ;)

        OK, more to come, let us know if you will be at the show in Pomona on
        Saturday, February 25th, and/or Lajos' on Sunday, February 26th.
        Oops, I just realized I need to check the pending memberships - sorry
        about any wait that you may have had to endure.

        All Z BeZt,
        Jim

        --- In ZoCal@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hoshiko" <billhko@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > Jim has finaly got us to get someting into motion.
        >
        > Lajos has offered his "studio" (formerly his slave quarters) as a
        > place for our first get together.
        >
        > Copied from Lajo's message in Z_scale Groups: Lajos Thek's place in
        > Long Beach, Sunday 02/12/06 1:00 PM. Please contact me for
        > directions at olaj@ or call (562)481-1381
        >
        > Even if you do not entend to be an active member of this group, you
        > should visit his manufacturing facility and staff.
        >
        > His studio is within a half block of the beach and the area is
        > crammed with multi-storied apartments and condos. Parking is at a
        > premium. I will be driving from the I-5 and the 405 "Y". If you
        > want to carpool please call. 949-768-3997 or email me at:
        > billhko @ yahoo. com (remove the spaces)
        >
        > I drive there by the way of the 405 to the Cherry Ave off ramp.
        > Then South to Ocean Blvd. If you see fishes swimming past your
        > windshield, you went too far. Back up. Next, a right about a 1/4
        > mile to 7th Pl. These streets only go from Ocean Blvd to the water
        > and are only on the South side of Ocean blvd. No street signs on
        > the inland side of Ocean Blvd.
        >
        > If Jim will be bringing his modules down here we should be organized
        > enough to help him.
        >
        > Z Scale Hobo: http://www.zscalehobo.com/ will also have a booth at
        > the Pomona show.
        >
        > I hope that we can generate some active interest in Z scale here. I
        > am getting old. The body refuses to function. Even a visit to
        > Hooters doesn't inspire anything.
        >

        > Bill H.
        > El Toro, CA
      • jim_manley_alpha_six
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2006
          GreetingZ ZoCalsterZ,

          Well, I am just going to have to get some sleep someday. I just
          realized that Lajos' proposed meeting is TODAY, Sunday, February 12th,
          not the day after the Pomona show, Sunday, February 26th. Well, in
          that case, I won't be able to make it, even if I could reserve an
          aircraft from my fixed-wing flight school (which I can't, due to
          training flights having priority, for some reason :) as the school
          moved to Castle Air Force Base, about a two-hour drive each way from
          my place in SillyCon Valley (heck, LA is only a five hour drive each
          way, and a lot less gas, at a cheaper per-gallon price by over a
          dollar a gallon). If someone has unlimited minutes on their cell
          phone, maybe I can sit in virtually, or at least maybe someone can
          poke some characters in my direction via the Chat facility that we
          have for our group, just like Z_Scale has (but, it would need to
          appear in a separate browser window/tab). I wouldn't even hope for a
          webcam-style broadcast.

          However, this doesn't affect the fact that "The Show Must Go On" in
          Pomona on February 25th, and I know it will be a difficult choice if
          you can only attend one event. For those who can make it to the show,
          I can easily guarantee that you won't forget it for the rest of your
          life. In any case, there will be other opporunities to get together,
          and I would encourage moving the meetings around close to each
          member's home, so that the traveling load is spread around equally
          among the members (well, except for little ol' moi - I don't expect
          anyone to show up at my place over 400 miles North of the rest of you,
          anytime soon! ;)

          All Z BeZt from a Very Tired Muddle-rator,

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2006
            Hi folks,

            We had a great meeting at Lajos Thek's beach front SW1 factory
            yesterday.

            We had a total of 6 attendees.

            David Barnblatt, Steven Fry, Jay Greer, Keith Todhunter, Lajos Thek
            and I

            The main topic on the table was "What are we going to do for the
            2006 NMRA train show?" Lajos wanted to present a group effort and
            create something that would display a united front with a cohesive
            display that would connect with other Zbend modular layouts.

            This display will also be the product of individual members
            efforts. This group, like all of the others has no dues, no
            officers, no "Roberts rules of Order". We just want to show that
            the Southern California Z scale folks are not "Beach Bums" from
            the "Land of the Fruits and Nuts".

            We want to show that we are "Z Scale Bums" from the "Land of the
            Fruits and Nuts". Those of you who are enjoying the Winter Scenes
            of the Nort East enjoy as much as you can. We are suffering under
            80 deg sunshine. We need to build a modular layout that is Ocean
            water proof so that we can go surfing while playing trains. Perhaps
            Jay Greer can help. He designs and builds craftsman sail boats.
            Hey, maybe we are Beach Bums.

            The next meeting of the ZoCal group will be at the Feb 25th Pomona
            GWAATS show. All of you who missed the 1st meeting will be accepted
            with open arms at the Pomona show. We hope to have firm ideas on
            what we should do for the 2006 show.

            We are waiting for times and places to meet for the opening of the
            Pomona show. It is a one day only show and we want to be there to
            help Jim set up. We will also need to make a schedule for some of
            us to be available to help all day and in the end help dismantle and
            stow away all of Jim's equipment.

            On one of his posts he asked if anyone of us can help him with a
            place to stay. My house is a gathering place for teenageers to plan
            their weekend activities and confusion reigns all evening into the
            early morings.

            If you have some equipment to run, please bring them along. All
            that is asked is that your wheels are clean. We don't want to add
            So Cal Crud onto Jim's tracks.

            Please stay tuned for further information.

            Bill H.
            El Toro, CA
          • John Duino
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2006
              That's great! I'm glad you were able to get some discussion started.

              I'm curious what the thoughts are at this time as far as what/how we want
              to present? I know Lajos previously expressed interest in doing some other
              "standard" than Z-Bend but we never finished the discussion.

              And you said 2006 in this posting. Are you/they/we serious? Try to get
              something together and ship it to Phili? (I think that's where 2006 is,
              right?) I'm just impressed us ZoCal Beach BumZ got a meeting
              together...and that's thanks to a NorCal Z-bum! (Thanks Jim!)

              I will be there on Feb 25, but not until late. My other duties have to
              come first (it's picture day for the baseball team I coach). I obviously
              won't make set-up, but I should be able to help the latter half plus
              tear-down plus meeting that night. We ought to get a loose head-count and
              make some reservations soon.

              Dang...I really need to get building...

              John

            • randy smidt
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2006
                Bill,

                Sounds like you all had a good first meeting.  I wish I could have been there myself.  We were running trains at a WGH show while a Nor'Easter was dropping snow on us.

                I too am wondering if you meant NTS 2006 in Philly or if you meant NTS 2008 in Annaheim?  If you meant 2006, please try to let me know ASAP what you hope to bring and who is planning on coming since I need to get any revised paperwork in by MAY 1.  We are allowed 1 person per 4' module section, but there are usually some folks who bring more than 4' of modules so not everyone needs to bring a module.

                I sent Robert Toole an e-mail a week or so ago about all the different module standards being used in the USA right now and will re-send it here when I can dig it up again.

                Randy Smidt
                Washington, DC Z-Bend Track group
                ZTrack magazine module group coordinator

              • Steve Gibbs
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 13, 2006
                  Bill, Thanks for the exzellent report. Almost felt like I was there!

                  Although I have a prior commitment on the 25th, I'm trying to see if I
                  can shift things around so that I can at least be there to help set up
                  or take down. Please keep us informed as the plans firm up (Now I know
                  ZoCal is up and running, I can begin to plan ahead for it).

                  The group module sounds like a great idea. I'd be more than happy to
                  lend a hand on this project, since I don't yet have a Z layout of my
                  own (it's still in the planning/collecting track stage).

                  Steve
                • jim_manley_alpha_six
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 15, 2006
                    GreetingZ Fellow SouthernerZ (including wannabe Beach BumZ up here! :)

                    Thanks for the great report, Bill - I could smell the salt air from
                    the beach ... and the smog from the traffic! :) Six attendees on such
                    short notice augurs well for the future of the group - it took the BAZ
                    BoyZ months to get together for our first meeting, and almost a year
                    before we had our first module-mating meeting, shortly followed by our
                    first exhibition. It really is all about momentum in this hobby, and
                    even just the act of typing about what you want to do next is a big
                    step in the direction of accomplishing it (writing down goals is one
                    of those Seven Habits of Highly Effective People that costs a bunch of
                    bucks to read about - and now you've saved those bucks just for
                    joining this group! :)

                    Don't worry about picking a module standard - there's more than enough
                    of them, whichever one you pick will have advantages and disadvantages
                    (and the latter will drive you crazy with "buyer's remorse"), and you
                    can always build transition modules later to adapt to whatever someone
                    else has, or you decide to adopt when building future modules. You
                    can even make up your own standard like I did with my miniModuleZ,
                    that happens to be compatible with Z-Bend Track, but is split down the
                    middle so that wider modules can be built up to accommodate more track
                    and scenery, as desired (it's great for preventing inevitable layout
                    boredom, since the miniModuleZ can be reconfigured lots of different
                    ways).

                    Surfing while running trains - now you're talking! I'll have to pull
                    my Hobie 16 and sailboards out of storage on one of my future trips
                    down there when it's juuuust a bit warmer than it has been up here
                    until Tuesday, when the temperatures dropped over 30 degrees from the
                    highs in the 70s for the past couple of weeks. The only thing I have
                    regretted even slightly about making my way to California is the
                    brain, ear, and wrist aching cold California current (I've always been
                    into sailing more than surfing, and I wanted to live and work in
                    SillyCon Valley ever since I got the January, 1973, issue of Popular
                    Electronics, which featured the MITS Altair 8800 microcomputer kit on
                    the cover, but it took 22 years to get here due to a detour through a
                    Navy career).

                    So, was it really the 2006 NTS in Philly you were talking about
                    building something for, or the 2008 NTS in Anaheim? I'm betting that
                    it really was the 2008 show, but hey, you guyZ seem to be so stoked
                    about getting things going that, who am I to stand in the way of
                    immediate progress? :)

                    Really looking forward to seeing as many of you as can show up at the
                    GW&ATS in Pomona on Saturday, 25 Februrary.