9607Re: [ZoCal] RE: Anaheim 2014

  • Lindley Ruddick
    Jan 17, 2014
      I second that motion but…….
      1. who volunteers to make it?
      2. who will become the owner to transport and store it?

      On Jan 17, 2014, at 1:03 PM, <ghoffman@...> wrote:

      You raise good points.

      We normally like to hide our wizardry behind the curtain, but I think we should do one or more of the following at a show:

      -Display our electronics on an auxiliary table with labels on all key components

      -Make a display board (science fair style) that describes what's going on electronically.

      I envision a 3 or 4 foot plywood board about 40 inches off the floor located near the command end of the yard On it sits the NCE Power Command station next to a laptop and a wireless access point. This would be a great educational addition to the layout. Of course, each item and cable should be labelled to show its function. If we ever program the yard into a JMRI panel, it would be great to show that on the laptop screen as well. We could also show a console window with the DCC commands scrolling by. If we replace the laptop and WAP with an embedded computer board, we can make the tabletop display area even smaller.

      It's also easy to make a storyboard display board with all these things schematically depicted. I suggest a title: "Casey, there's an app for that."

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic