Kolob Terrace Rd/ Wildcat

  • hwstockman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2013
      A friend just told me the Kolob Terrace Rd is closed up around Wildcat TH parking. She was not totally sure, having heard this 2nd-hand.  Do you folks know of closures up that way?
    • bodhijoe
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2013

        Hmmm... interesting. That's the typical winter closure spot but has there been any major snow up there already? Or does this sound like something else going on?

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2013
          Looking at the satellite based snow cover data (which I get at KSL vortex web site) there is no snow there, though there is a bit north, where highway 14 crosses over the high country.
        • Marshall Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2013
            Probably closed it during the shutdown and never reopened it due to the late season

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 30, 2013

                The Kolob Terrace road was never closed during the shutdown, as it is a road to somewhere.  There is no notice at the ZNP website. Therefore, it is open.

                Thank you for treating this rumor with skepticism.

                There are a couple places it closes in winter, but it is not winter yet!  A dusting of snow at 6000 feet.

                Tom

                ---In zion_national_park_hiking@yahoogroups.com, <hwstock@...> wrote:

                Remember, this was a vague comment; I'm mainly asking here if it is true.  I had some friends who started from that Trailhead in October, the day after Utah reopened the parks.  I'm guessing something was lost in translation.

                ---In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, <zion_national_park_hiking@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Hmmm... interesting. That's the typical winter closure spot but has there been any major snow up there already? Or does this sound like something else going on?

                ---In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, <zion_national_park_hiking@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                A friend just told me the Kolob Terrace Rd is closed up around Wildcat TH parking. She was not totally sure, having heard this 2nd-hand.  Do you folks know of closures up that way?
              • kol84b