Zion will be open Saturday!

  • tanya_o0o
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2013

      Thursday, October 10, 2013  2:55 PM

      News Flash!!

      All of Utah’s National Parks and Monuments will be open beginning Saturday, October 12!!

      The State of Utah has reached an agreement with Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell to staff the parks with National Park Employees, paid for by Utah State Funds.

      Enjoy YOUR National Parks & Monuments!!

      Ken Gotzen-Berg
      Director
      Kane County Office of Tourism
      435-644-5033
      78 South 100 East, Kanab, UT 84741
      kgotzenberg@VisitSouthernUtah.com
      www.VisitSouthernUtah.com

    • glennlray

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2013
            Let me just add that this agreement has been reached verbally with Governor Gary Herbert and the Department of the interior. They have their attorneys working on the legal agreement with many I's to dot and T's to cross before we have a solid agreement signed. It is projected that these matters will be dealt with in the next 24 hours. Many details to work out and ramp up issues, some discussion about phases of opening. Stay tuned for more details and be a bit cautious about what you announce and promise until we have solid information. The great news is that the efforts from the local collation of counties has made a big difference. Also, thanks to our Governor for stepping up to support us in this effort.

            Dirk Clayson
            (435) 616-1234

[...]

          • bodhijoe

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013

                Announcements have been made official about the National Parks opening tomorrow including Lake Powell. We are so excited about the support from Utah State in helping and funding this. Our collation of Southern Utah counties efforts to reopen the parks with county resources has pressed this issue forward. There were many liabilities and risks of opening the parks without Park employees or facilities. Our counties were trying to move forward with this and gain State support. This resulted in the better option of having the State fund these operations with Park employees. We are grateful for this assistance. We have spoken to Park management and they are moving forward to re-establish the services. I would encourage you all to reach out to your contacts within the parks and offer your assistance and thanks to them for their efforts to open back up quickly.

                Best Regards,

                Dirk Clayson
                435-616-1234
                Kanab, Utah