RE: 1st time Zion hiker

  • cgptsnaz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013

      Its generally only ankle to calf deep. Its a nice hike!

      The first mile of the Narrows is called the River Walk a paved sidewalk trail that 75% of the tourists that do the narrows do. You never have to walk in or cross the Virgin River for a mile each way. It ends at the actual river walking area that goes for as far as one wants to try it.

      Emerald Pools is a nice little hike along the western side of the canyon. Also Weeping Rock is a nice area along the east side.

      ---In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, <zion_national_park_hiking@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm planning my first hiking trip to Zion for next spring for 3 days.  Can I get some suggestions or recommendation for day-hiking trails? I plan to hike Angel's Landing and Observation Points.  I need a 3rd trail.

      I was considering The Narrows, but from what I read, much of the hike is thru water or streams.  Can you hike extended portions of The Narrows without going thru water?  (Not all members of my group would like that.)

      Is the Emerald pools trails a good, shorter, wind-down hike?  We need to catch our flights home later that day, so am trying to choose a shorter, easier trail.

      Thanks for helping a Zion beginner.
      _______________________________________
      Kevin Lepionka, CPCU, CLU, ChFC
      Manager - Agent Advantage Network Program
      Insurance Intermediaries, Inc.
      P.O. Box 182500
      Columbus, OH, 43218
      (Work) 800-444-1744, x23858 or 614-429-5246
      (Fax) 877-444-4094
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013

        I would disagree with "ankle to calf".   Certainly plenty of places that are at least crotch deep on me and I'm 6 feet   Maybe less in the fall, I've never been.   Ah, but the OP says "next spring".

        There are so many options....  read the main web sites, Joe Braun's and Bo and Tanya's (or buy their book) and you'll have many many choices.

        Emerald Pools is short, scenic, and crowded.

        ---In zion_national_park_hiking@yahoogroups.com, <cgptsnaz@...> wrote:

[...]

      • glennlray
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013

          It sound like you don't have three full days; more like two-and-a-half.

          Okay, Angel's Landing is a Must-Do. Check.

          Observation Point is also a great hike, but give yourself more time and explore Hidden Canyon as well.  I'd recommend visiting it on your way back down.  Check.

          After a long day hike to Observation Point, you're going to want an easy hike for your last day, and since you won't have a full day, that's probably best.

          I have to also suggest Riverside Walk.  It's a smooth, flat, paved trail that introduces folks to the heart of the canyon.  Those of your group adventurous to take a short stroll in the river can add a little bit to the end of the hike and return.  But the water can be chilly in early spring, so keep that in mind.

          Another short hike is the Canyon Overlook Trail on the east side of Zion (other side of the tunnel).  That has some elevation change, but gives you a hint of the scenery over there.

          Emerald Pools is nice, but you probably won't have time to do more than the Lower Pools.

          ---In zion_national_park_hiking@yahoogroups.com, <mojave_ben@...> wrote:

[...]

        • hwstockman
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
            I would agree with mojave_ben--- that is, to be more circumspect.

            You can check the USGS average monthly flow rate -- often in "the spring" the flow is pretty serious, and the water is dangerously cold (like dry suit temperature).

            If you go from the bottom up (starting at Temple of Sinawava) you can test the water and decide it it is too cold; the folks at the Visitor's Center will give you the "current" status.

            I've gone through the Narrows on Memorial Day, when the water was 45F and I had to swim across places.  At that water temperature, hypothermia comes very quickly.

            If you have two cars for a shuttle, or contract for a drop-off service (Zion Adventure Company used to offer said service, may still), you can do the Narrows top-down as a very long day hike (18 miles); the first part is the driest. The top-down hike may require a permit; it's been over 10 years since I went that way.
          • kpig751
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013

              You'll likely have to rely on the Zion Shuttle Bus to get to the trailheads for Angels Landing and Observation Pt.

              On your third day you might opt to stay in your car and travel on Route 9 all the way to the east entrance and back.  Lots of places to pull over and view some amazing scenery.  The short overlook trail head will be on your left just after you emerge from a mile long tunnel.  If you google Petroglyph Canyon, you should be able to ferret out directions to the trailhead of another short trail that leads to a wall of wonder.

              And for something totally different after your dayhikes, get your Butch Cassidy on and  take a ride out to Grafton.