Woman dies while hiking The Wave in high heat

  • Phoenix_DZ
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013

      Second incident this month...

      Here's the story from the Salt Lake Tribune:

      An Arizona woman died while hiking in high temperatures to The Wave rock formation in Kane County.

      Elisabeth Ann Bervel, 27, was hiking with her husband Anthony on Monday, their fifth wedding anniversary. They had secured hard-to-get permits for the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness hike in a lottery seven months ago, deputies wrote in a press statement.

      "They had spent the last seven months preparing for the trip by reviewing the information provided by a BLM informational packet about the hike as well as online reviews by other hikers trying to make sure they were prepared for the outing," according to the statement.

      The Bervels began their hike about 8 a.m. and met other hikers along the way. On their hike back to the trailhead, they lost the trail occasionally and spent "a couple of extra hours" hiking during the hottest part of the day, deputies wrote.

      "The ... hours in the heat and hiking in the sand took their toll on Elisabeth and her legs finally gave out and she could go no farther," deputies wrote.

      Her husband hiked ahead to reach a cellphone signal and called for help. Medics flew to The Wave from Page, Ariz., but she was in cardiac arrest when they arrived. The medics tried CPR but could not revive her.

      An autopsy is pending, deputies said.

      The Bervels have two sons, 4 and 5, who were with relatives in Arizona.

      "This event once again demonstrates the inherent risks associated with hiking in southern Utah's desert country this time of year," deputies wrote. "Even though the Bervels had tried to make sure they were prepared for this hike, the elements proved to be stronger."

      Four people have died while hiking in Kane County this year; Ulrich and Patricia Wahli, of Campbell, Calif., died July 3, also near The Wave. Another person died near Hole-In-The-Rock Road south of Escalante, deputies said.

    • Glenn Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013
        How awful. Even with an early start, the heat eventually got to them. One has to wonder if she had a medical condition already.

        I've read a few other articles about this (mostly the same text) and nothing really jumps out as a red flag except the time of year.

        I've mentioned this before, but I hike Buckskin Gulch and Edmaiers Secret in May and used up a gallon of water in seven hours and more than a mile from the trailhead. What saved me was having plenty more in the car when I got there.

        I've registered for The Wave in November and if I get it, I think I'm gonna bring extra water and cache it on the way, just in case. That, and have fresh batteries in the GPS.