Re: ?Camp Creek information please?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 16, 2013
      Just confirming Tom's comment... no access issues at all with Camp Creek. I was there in October and there is a formalized road that now heads out of the development towards the border of the park. You can drive north on the dirt road and park in an obvious parking area just before you hike up the access road to the water tower.

      Access is much friendlier than it was in 2004 when the development was just being started and "no parking" signs were starting to appear. The development didn't boom the way it was expected to and from talking with one of the residents, many people in the area value keeping access easy. (This woman likes jogging between Camp and Spring Creek.)

      That said, I'm also confirming Tom's opinion that Camp Creek isn't all that fun. Overgrown irritating open section and not very photogenic when the canyon narrows. Still beats a day in the office though... :)

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Keith Beck <kbeck@...> wrote:

      > Tom:
      >
      > Thanks very much for the beta re: Camp Creek being a low quality destination---taking it off our primary list for this trip as a result.
      >
      > I also very much appreciate the comments re: GPS, and fully agree with the principles you express. I spend a lot of time plotting our routes personally, for just the reasons you state (and my general love of playing with maps as part of the anticipation of the real thing). My seeking "certified" waypoints is more for a comparison of what I have managed with available resources. For example, the terminus of the Camp Creek hike is not well-delineated on what I have found so far, so a terminus waypoint to compare with my best estimate would be interesting.
      >
      > Another example: we are going to be doing the Little Grand Canyon hike on the San Rafael. While in the area thought we would check out some of the other nontechnical hikes from your website. Upper Straight Wash seems nice, so I have (heavily using your archived page) drawn some topo maps to supplement the map on your page. Would have fun comparing my waypoints for the various access routes to your suggested (red) routes. BTW: are there any shady nooks for car camping near the TH?
      >
      > Thanks for the answer and concern.
      >
      > cheers,
      > keith
      >

      > On Jun 16, 2013, at 6:53 AM, TomJones wrote:
      >
      > > It has been 3 or 4 years, but I hiked up Camp Creek "recently".
      > >
      > > No access issues, but it does start just outside the park on private land. I remember a parking lot there and a sign on the trail. It was way too hot, and the bugs were incredibly bad. I did not find the hike enjoyable and there was little in the way of scenery. Yes, one or two places to take a photo, but that was about it. Among the worst hikes in the Park.
      > >
      > > I am concerned that you ask for GPS points. There is plenty of technology for picking GPS points off a map, and there are plenty of maps available on-line. I have always found that the process of putting lines on a map and/or pulling GPS points off is very good for my understanding of the route and terrain. Thus, I am suggesting you have the stuff you need already.
      > >
      > > Tom
      > >
      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <kbeck@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > In the Falcon Guide: Hiking Zion & Bryce Canyon there is a description of Camp Creek. It refers to problems with local landowners making access difficult, and recommended getting recent information. Does anyone know the current status of the access: parking, gates, etc., please?
      > > >
      > > > In addition, would anyone know of a source for GPS data, waypoints, tpo file for this hike.
      > > >
      > > > Thank you very much.
      > > >
      > > > keith

    • TomJones
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
        Additional tidbit:

        a mile or two up the canyon, I was seeing quite a few Russian Olive stumps. Confirmed in later conversation with the Olive-Slayer, who worked at Zion for a year or two, Back In The Day!