Re: Hiking on slick rcck

  • hwstockman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2013
      Note I said that folks had gotten by with just soft-soled athletic shoes, and that no material would work well for loose-sand-surfaced rock.

      As often occurs in this group, we don't get a quantitative feel for what people really want to do. Often there are little details missing, like time of year or technical nature of the route.

      In many wet canyons, with mandatory roped descents, people are happiest with sticky-rubber soled shoes like the 5-10 Canyoneers. But those shoes are not necessary for the Virgin Narrows.

      For the trails (including Angels' Landing), sticky rubber is overkill.

      For a non-technical, but slightly hairy route (e.g. 4th class, Guardian Angel NE ridge),
      http://hwstock.org/zionLVMC11b/html/IMG_5870.htm
      where one may bring out rope to make people feel more comfortable, I recommend sticky rubber. Yet I've seen CP do that route in sneakers, and I've seen a guy wearing vibram 5-fingers (but he asked for a belay).

      One doesn't really "need" any of this new-fangled stuff -- nylon, light back-packing gear, etc.