Re: Hiking on slick rcck

  • Jeff Schaber
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2013
      5-10 has many shoes that will stick like glue to slick rock. La Sportiva also carries a few models as well but they tend to run a bit narrower. Most shoe companies that got their start in climbing shoes (i.e. 5-10) have good shoes for this type of hiking. The length of your hikes and how much you carry also affects your choice. You'll want more support carrying a heavy pack but if you're just day hiking look for an "approach" shoe.

      Some of the shoes are waterproof and others are designed to let the water flow through and drain out like the 5-10 Savant's.

      Bottom line is it has to be comfortable as many shoe manufacturers make shoes with "sticky" rubber.

      --
      Jeff Schaber
      ------------------

      Be who you are, say what you feel.
      Because those that mind don't matter
      and those that matter don't mind!

      ~Dr. Seuss~
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2013
        Everyone recommends the "sticky rubber" stuff but I don't get enough technical climbing in to merit buying (and carrying as checked baggage) yet another pair of shoes. I've been all over East Zion on the non-technical routes with ordinary hiking boots or athletic shoes and I haven't died yet :)

        So far, my fear of slipping cuts in before I actually get to slipping angles. But in reality, on slickrock so much depends on the fine grained structure of the rock (ridges? ledges? angle of these with respect to gravity? solid or dirty - crumbly or unsecured edge slabs that can slide away with you) and you have to learn to read that a bit. I find whenever I go out and spend a week there I'm much more confident at the end of the week than the beginning.

        I'm pretty conservative when there's exposure.

        I am very fond of the wild areas on the south side of the peaks just south of highway 9, over toward Parunuweap.
      • hwstockman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2013
          Note I said that folks had gotten by with just soft-soled athletic shoes, and that no material would work well for loose-sand-surfaced rock.

          As often occurs in this group, we don't get a quantitative feel for what people really want to do. Often there are little details missing, like time of year or technical nature of the route.

          In many wet canyons, with mandatory roped descents, people are happiest with sticky-rubber soled shoes like the 5-10 Canyoneers. But those shoes are not necessary for the Virgin Narrows.

          For the trails (including Angels' Landing), sticky rubber is overkill.

          For a non-technical, but slightly hairy route (e.g. 4th class, Guardian Angel NE ridge),
          http://hwstock.org/zionLVMC11b/html/IMG_5870.htm
          where one may bring out rope to make people feel more comfortable, I recommend sticky rubber. Yet I've seen CP do that route in sneakers, and I've seen a guy wearing vibram 5-fingers (but he asked for a belay).

          One doesn't really "need" any of this new-fangled stuff -- nylon, light back-packing gear, etc.