ORDERVILLE from gravel road better than Narrows 2 day top down ?

  • crn_jr
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2013
      I only have so much time and cant squeeze it all in,,,,
      my dilemma...all you Zion Canyon Rats out there please help me out and support choice..thx all...this group rocks !!!!

      Option A
      ordeville canyon - one day
      subway - the next day
      OR
      Option B
      Narrows top down overnight stay -two days
      OR
      Option C
      Narrows all in one day (what time would you leave chamberlins ?(in good shape so how many hours ?)and
      on day 2 would you chooose orderville ? or subway ?
    • TomJones
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2013
        WHEN are you coming out? It makes a big difference.

        Tom

      • crn_jr@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2013
          Apologies. Yes needed detail. first week of august...
          i should add Option D
          one day Pine Creek canyoneering
          one day Subway

          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2013
            I've been coming to Zion for 13 years, and figure I am about half done. Instead of coming out for two days, may I suggest that coming out for two years would give you a good start...

            Ha!

            Any of these things would be great.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2013
              LOL !!!! if pressed (or broke !!!) and you had to pick one .....???

              I've been coming to Zion for 13 years, and figure I am about half done. Instead of coming out for two days, may I suggest that coming out for two years would give you a good start...

              Ha!

              Any of these things would be great.

              Tom

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "crn_jr@..." <crn_jr@...> wrote:

              > Apologies. Yes needed detail. first week of august...
              > i should add Option D
              > one day Pine Creek canyoneering
              > one day Subway
              >

              > >________________________________

            • hwstockman
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2013
                I've gone one-day Narrows from top canyon, and one-day Orderville from top canyon. I liked Orderville better, but I don't recall that the time difference was that great between the two. Mainly you need to get dropped off at the top, or set up a shuttle. Perhaps it's just my style, but I'd prefer not to camp midway on either (don't like pooping in a bag).

                You have applied for canyon permits?

                By summer, the exit from Subway will seem damn hot.

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "crn_jr" <crn_jr@...> wrote:

                > I only have so much time and cant squeeze it all in,,,,
                > my dilemma...all you Zion Canyon Rats out there please help me out and support choice..thx all...this group rocks !!!!
                >
                > Option A
                > ordeville canyon - one day
                > subway - the next day
                > OR
                > Option B
                > Narrows top down overnight stay -two days
                > OR
                > Option C
                > Narrows all in one day (what time would you leave chamberlins ?(in good shape so how many hours ?)and
                > on day 2 would you chooose orderville ? or subway ?

              • Gordon
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 2013
                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "crn_jr@..." <crn_jr@...> wrote:
                  > > i should add Option D
                  > one day Pine Creek canyoneering
                  > one day Subway
                  How about option D+?

                  Pine Creek in the morning, up the lower narrows to Big Spring in the afternoon, Angel's landing in the evening, Subway the other day.

                  Gordon
                • TomJones
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6, 2013
                    The Subway permit is very hard to get, and it is an awesome hike. From the top right - you able to manage a few short rappels?

                    The nature of the several options are quite different, so it is hard to select which of Zion's children would be her favorite.

                    But, given your first encounter with her beauties, I would say the Narrows Overnight would be the first choice.

                    Again, it CAN be hard to get that permit too.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7, 2013
                      OK, the first time I was in Zion I had only a couple days... and I've been coming back ever since. So be warned, as Tom said, you could spend much time there.

                      Anyway, you have lots of good options and opinions. I suspect at that time of year permits may be your biggest constraint. Though be wary of the weather as well! Zion main canyon from below has no permit requirement, so you can do that any day. I would say at least a day there is a must. But you could also do (with an early start) Angels' Landing followed by a walk up the narrows. When we did that, we cached our water gear in the bushes near the Angels' Landing shuttle stop. It makes for a long day and you're in the midst of the crowd all the way up the Narrows. (advantage of a plain and simple early start up the Narrows is that you can stay ahead of most other people if you keep moving).

                      I would choose Subway over Orderville if I had the choice. But as Harlan pointed out, it is a hot walk out in the summer, and it's fairly long. There's water most of the way, and most likely you'll be late enough that the short but steep climb out at the end would be shaded (it is east facing). Orderville would be cooler, you're in the water during the hot part of the day.

                      We all are assuming you know what you are doing in easy technical canyons. If you're planning on being the type who jumps off the obstacles or tries to descend using clothes like you bought at Home Depot, do reconsider please.

                      You have very long days in the summer. You will need them. You *really* want to get nice early starts!