Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] New Homepage Photo

  • Bob Bauerle
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2013
      All I can say is "Watch out for Teenage Mutant Ninja Rattlesnakes!"

      On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Glenn Ray <glennlray@...> wrote:

      All I have to say is "Ooh. Aah!" I have no idea where that is, but it's a beautiful image, Joe.

    • tanya_o0o
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2013
        Creepy!!!

        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2013
          Thanks! This is one of the narrow sections of the Subway, just downstream from Keyhole Falls. That whole stretch of canyon is some of the most beautiful and unique scenery anywhere.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ray" <glennlray@...> wrote:

          > All I have to say is "Ooh. Aah!" I have no idea where that is, but it's a beautiful image, Joe.

        • Gordon
          Message 4 of 12 , May 6, 2013
            HDR?

            Gordo

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ray" <glennlray@...> wrote:

            > All I have to say is "Ooh. Aah!" I have no idea where that is, but it's a beautiful image, Joe.

          • Jeff Schaber
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6, 2013
              Pretty sure that's a section of the Subway? Last time I was there it was filled with sand so I'm hoping to get back and see it in this "typical" condition.

              --
              Jeff Schaber
              ------------------

              Be who you are, say what you feel.
              Because those that mind don't matter
              and those that matter don't mind!

              ~Dr. Seuss~
            • Gordon
              Message 6 of 12 , May 6, 2013
                It's the Subway. But it seldom looks that, er, interesting. That's why I was wondering if the photo is a HDR composite.

                Gordo

                Message 7 of 12 , May 9, 2013
                  Yes, it's the narrow section of the Subway right under Keyhole Falls. It's not an HDR (I actually hate most HDR's that people grind through Photomatix.) Shot in October early in the morning (I climbed up from the bottom), shot on tripod with an ND filter for a long exposure that sucked in the colors. -Joe

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gajslk@...> wrote:

                  > It's the Subway. But it seldom looks that, er, interesting. That's why I was wondering if the photo is a HDR composite.
                  >
                  > Gordo
                  >
                  > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Schaber <jeffschaber@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Pretty sure that's a section of the Subway? Last time I was there it was
                  > > filled with sand so I'm hoping to get back and see it in this "typical"
                  > > condition.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Jeff Schaber
                  > > ------------------
                  > >
                  > > Be who you are, say what you feel.
                  > > Because those that mind don't matter
                  > > and those that matter don't mind!
                  > >
                  > > ~Dr. Seuss~

                • Gordon
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9, 2013
                    Now I'm impressed. Nice job.

                    Gordon

                    > Yes, it's the narrow section of the Subway right under Keyhole Falls. It's not an HDR (I actually hate most HDR's that people grind through Photomatix.) Shot in October early in the morning (I climbed up from the bottom), shot on tripod with an ND filter for a long exposure that sucked in the colors. -Joe
                    >
                    > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gajslk@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It's the Subway. But it seldom looks that, er, interesting. That's why I was wondering if the photo is a HDR composite.
                    > >
                    > > Gordo
                    > >
                    > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Schaber <jeffschaber@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Pretty sure that's a section of the Subway? Last time I was there it was
                    > > > filled with sand so I'm hoping to get back and see it in this "typical"
                    > > > condition.
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Jeff Schaber
                    > > > ------------------
                    > > >
                    > > > Be who you are, say what you feel.
                    > > > Because those that mind don't matter
                    > > > and those that matter don't mind!
                    > > >
                    > > > ~Dr. Seuss~

                  • Jeff Schaber
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2013
                      An HDR image if done right can make an impossible photograph a reality. Most of the HDR photo's perople are posting have been enhanced, tweaked, and distorted to be more of a surreal image rather than a true representation of what the photographer sees.

                      I would have never been able to take this photo without the ability to combine Under, Neutral, and Over exposed images without the HDR process.

                      Inline image 1

                      This is what my eye saw while in this Kiva. It's a simple HDR combination of three very long (2 minutes each) bracketed exposures. There's no funky filters added to it to give it that surreal look. This shot would have been impossible with a single exposure due to the flood of light entering from the ladder exit.

                      --
                      Jeff Schaber
                      ------------------

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10, 2013
                        Jeff -- That's a good example of HDR done right. Before the HDR craze, we all did bracketing. Take a few exposures, some under some over and then blend them together taking the best of each exposure as you have to eliminate the burned out highlights or completely black blacks.

                        Some of my photographer friends these days make me crazy. They'll take a perfectly normal scene and then take 20 shots of it, from -7 to +7, then grind it through Photomatix and kick out something that can be best described as radioactive, complete with large halos. :)

                        These days, I should RAW with the Nikon D800 and it has a much better dynamic range than my older cameras. I find myself bracketing less and less because the sensor is able to capture most scenes in one shot. Good discussion! -Joe

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Schaber <jeffschaber@...> wrote:

                        > An HDR image if done right can make an impossible photograph a reality.
                        > Most of the HDR photo's perople are posting have been enhanced, tweaked,
                        > and distorted to be more of a surreal image rather than a true
                        > representation of what the photographer sees.
                        >
                        > I would have never been able to take this photo without the ability to
                        > combine Under, Neutral, and Over exposed images without the HDR process.
                        >
                        > [image: Inline image 1]
                        >

                        > This is what my eye saw while in this Kiva. It's a simple HDR combination
                        > of three very long (2 minutes each) bracketed exposures. There's no funky
                        > filters added to it to give it that surreal look. This shot would have been
                        > impossible with a single exposure due to the flood of light entering from
                        > the ladder exit.
                        >

                        > --
                        > Jeff Schaber
                        > ------------------
                        >
                        > Be who you are, say what you feel.
                        > Because those that mind don't matter
                        > and those that matter don't mind!
                        >
                        > ~Dr. Seuss~

                      • Jeff Schaber
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10, 2013
                          I'm still using a Canon T3 that I paid way too much money for so I'll have to use it quite a while longer to feel good about upgrading but shooting in RAW is the way to go. I have a cache of memory cards to support the format but the camera is over 4 years old so the sensor technology isn't as good as the new models out.

                          I use HDR when I have to and only as a tool (much like the dodging and burning I used to do in the darkroom). Most people today use it as an "Artistic" medium to create surreal painting like images. I've seen some spectacular things done this way with HDR and I admit that I've played around with many of my photos in this way but I always end up preferring the photo's that represent what my eyes see and the emotion of the landscape.

                          HDR is fun to play with as a painting medium and it's a good tool to fine tune a difficult picture but the real art in photography comes from composition, shutter speed and depth of field. You have to master these to consistently produce pictures that represent the actual scenes you're shooting.

                          I'll be spending two weeks in Glacier National Park this August/September and this represents a different type of landscape than I'm used to shooting so it should be interesting. I tried to talk my friends into going back to Zion but they were dead set on Glacier. Hopefully, Zion will be back on the docket for the next trip!

                          --
                          Jeff Schaber