Re: Coalpits "campground"

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2013
      Mosquito Cove was closed down a year or two ago and that resulted in the sudden rise in use of the Coalpits Wash trailhead. Everybody stays just outside the park boundary to avoid needing a Zion permit, but I know it's going to get shut down in the near future; it can get a little crazy and I'm sure the garbage and feces problem will only get worse.

      There's some other squatters campground up the Kolob Terrace Road as well, but I don't know much about it.

      Hope you had a good hike though! Once you get a mile or so up the stream, the crowds disappear.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2013
        Ah that explains it then. I didn't get out there last year due to surgery so this was the first I'd noticed. And yes, they are all in a little area just outside the very obvious park boundary. It was fairly clean - not a lot of trash.

        The trail was nice especially once it rejoined the wash and going up the Coalpits fork. A lot of flowers. It was warm that day so we did not go too far up but did play around in some nice pools.

        I had wanted to go in there on last Tuesday but it was raining, rather hard for a little while, as we parked at the trail head, and reading your comments decided it was not a good place to go in the rain. After walking it on Sunday, yup, that was definitely good advice!

        And we saw almost no one on the trail, despite the crowd at the trailhead.

        The spot(s) up on the Kolob seem nicer. It is a much less noisy road of course, and the spots are a bit further off it anyway.