Re: Personal Safety Device

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17 7:19 AM
      I like the idea of SPOT, but not working in slots and the inability to send full text messages has always kept me away. Does SOS mean that I ran out of water or that I'm hanging upside down from a rope with a broken leg? I suppose this technology will mature and I'd be much more excited at that point. (I'm sure first responders would appreciate more information as well.)

      That said... I too love hiking and backpacking alone; there is something very spiritual about it. But my rules are to always file a flight plan (and stick with it) and don't push anything too technical or risky (judgement call on that). -Joe

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gajslk@...> wrote:

      > The downside of SPOT is the yearly subscription fee. If you're not trying to keep your wife calm by sending an "I'm OK" message every day or two, a PLB might be a better choice. And hike alone all you want. Life is too short not to enjoy it.
      >
      > Gordon
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, kkrtrek <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I just got back from a week in Death Valley and thought this would be a good place to post my questions. I hiked a lot of canyons in DV, and, in many cases, I was the last or only person in the canyon. That got me thinking that, not being as young as I used to be, but still enjoying long, challenging, often solo hikes, it would make sense to, perhaps, carry an emergency device should something untoward occur.
      > >
      > > I am not a technical canyoneer, so I am not sure what the best Zion analogue would be to the kind of hiking I do; Maybe a Zion Canyon-West Rim-to Telephone-Canyon day-hike would give the flavor of what I'd like to know about. It's later in the day, I cannot count on anyone else coming by, and something untoward happens. What kind of device would anyone recommend? I am more interested in emergency help than in notifying family. I think that makes a difference. I know. Don't hike alone. Still, sometimes that is the only option, and it is what I want to do.
      > >
      > > Are the personal locator beacons (PLBs) the device of choice. How about the SPOT devices? Anything else? Again, I am looking for something for a true emergency--I don't want to give examples (superstitious about that), not for fatigue, a twisted ankle, or running out of food.
      > >
      > > Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.
      > >
      > > Kip S.

    • Tim Lundin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18 7:13 AM
      Hi all.

      I actually used Spot back on the Top down hike in November of 2010 and it worked perfect in tracking mode in the canyon.

      See attached picture.

      I hope that this helps. Also Zion NP said they highly recommend spot as well. I was using the following device during this trek. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

      Cheers,
      Tim
      Inline image 1
      --
      Tim Lundin
      202.527.9069 (office) / 602.692.0079 (cell)

      http://TDLphoto.com - http://Twitter.com/TDLphotohttp://facebook.com/TDLphoto

      Recent work can be found at: http://photos.TDLphoto.com/recent.html

      The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a mans foot long enough to enable him to put the other higher........

      “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”  - Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of these United States.
    • Glenn Ray
      Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18 10:54 AM
        I follow Joe's protocol and leave detailed hiking plans with someone (ex., family, hotel staff) before heading out alone.

        However, instead of a SPOT, why not carry a long-range 2-way radio (walkie talkie) and leave one with a contact (like above)? A good pair costs under $100; you don't NEED a subscription (although a GMRS license from the FCC is $85/five years); some national parks actually monitor these frequencies (I've heard Denali does, but don't know about Zion).

        I actually considered this last year but elected not to do so since I didn't do any backpacking.

        Message 4 of 9 , Apr 18 6:24 PM
          I carry a SPOT. Primary use would be SOS. I've never used it for that. Local 911 responders get a message with your lat/long. That's it. They come. Have heard awesome success stories - and abuse.

          SPOT also lets you send "I'm OK" messages to a mailing list you can edit. I use it each day just to show friends where I go :) When I've gone out solo I send one each evening back at camp - "I got back OK".

          I don't have friends near where I hike but some reserve the non-911 "help" message to mean "my car broke down" You could make your own.

          There is a new version of the SPOT which uses your phone with Bluetooth and you can compose a message whenever you want. I've not used it. I do also take my phone with me just in case I had a signal when I had an emergency.

          Anything that has to read GPS is going to have trouble in a slot, and also anything that sends a message back up is unlikely to see whatever receives the message. SPOT sends up to Globalstar (I think, could be one of the other networks). What do the PLB's use?

          Today on top of a peak in East Zion one of our phones got 3G data (and voice) and the other had zilch.
        • kkrtrek
          Message 5 of 9 , Apr 18 8:25 PM
            Don't want to clutter up the list, but I do want to say "Thanks" to everyone who has contributed. I was thinking a PLB would be the best choice, but some of the more recent posts have me leaning toward a SPOT. Anyway, lots of food for thought. Please chime in with anything else that comes to mind. I'm still here.

            Kip
          • hwstockman
            Message 6 of 9 , Apr 21 3:07 PM
              It worked well in the open areas of the canyon, but didn't work at all in the deep slots. Unfortunately, where you need it most is in the deep slots.