Re: Zion area backpacking - March 28-April 1

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2013
      The 30 some miles from Lees Pass to the Grotto may be slow going if there is snowpack in the higher elevations and if you encounter bad weather enroute. You can google some March/April trans Zion trip reports to see what hikers have encountered in recent years.

      Might be good to have a plan B and C to fall back on. The East Rim Trail offers exploration possibilities. You could hike in from the trailhead near the east side entrance station and camp at Stave Spring. Trails from there can take you to Cable Mtn and Deeptrap Mtn and the splendid views that can be seen from both. You can even descend the east rim trail down into Echo Canyon and then up again to Observation Point.

      If you all were able to do the Grand Canyon hike in a day, you should have no problem with the longer day hikes in Zion. For example, you might want to try the bottom up Subway route.