Re: New member here, well sorta...

  • tanya_o0o
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
      You really should Gary. That way you would have more freedom to roam with the cash you would get off the book.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Braun" wrote:

      > LOL, GCP, you are a veteran of this group! And I'm still pressing you to write a book of your adventures.
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, tanya_o0o wrote:
      > >
      > > I am glad you are posting. For some reason your id looks really
      > > familiar, but I am probably loosing it. :)
      > >

      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "gcptsnaz" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just joined moments ago and have been a adventure traveler and
      > > outdoorsmen since 1977. I live in the wild places of the USA every year
      > > from Labor Day to Memorial Day and work the summers in various places
      > > like National Parks and tourist towns for 3 months a year. I have been
      > > semi-retired since I was 21 in 77. I ride a bicycle for transportation
      > > all over the USA and just completed a 2500+ journey from NW Wyoming to
      > > S. California and back to SE Arizona from early September to late
      > > December. I am living now in Tucson hiking and cycling around the area
      > > till April when I will head out on my bike again. I have been a cycle
      > > tourer since late 1982. I lived in Alaska two years from October 1977 to
      > > December 1979. In June to September of 77 I hitchhiked 10,000 miles
      > > around the US and went to Alaska afterwards to homestead but had to wait
      > > for my name to come up on a waiting list which never happened in 2 years
      > > so I left and went to the lifestyle I now lead biking around the country
      > > and hiking too.
      > > > I am 57 years old and am looking at settling down onto some land soon
      > > to make a home for when I finally retire in 8 years.

    • gcptsnaz
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
        Thats cause I have two email accounts at yahoo. My real name is Clayton Gary Palmer and I have it as cgptsnaz but my sister and brother have a problem with me using our fathers first name in my address so just for them I had to make a new one gcptsnaz as they stopped emailing me at the cg one.. The difference is the first two letters CG and GC.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
          Well, I need to settle down first, I move around so much that I don't have or want to take the time to start writting a book about my life. Forrest Gump and Into the Wild could both be said to be based on my life.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, tanya_o0o wrote:

          > You really should Gary. That way you would have more freedom to roam with the cash you would get off the book.
          >
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Braun" wrote:
          > >
          > > LOL, GCP, you are a veteran of this group! And I'm still pressing you to write a book of your adventures.
          > >
          > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, tanya_o0o wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am glad you are posting. For some reason your id looks really
          > > > familiar, but I am probably loosing it. :)

          > > > outdoorsmen since 1977. I live in the wild places of the USA every year
          > > > from Labor Day to Memorial Day and work the summers in various places
          > > > like National Parks and tourist towns for 3 months a year. I have been
          > > > semi-retired since I was 21 in 77. I ride a bicycle for transportation
          > > > all over the USA and just completed a 2500+ journey from NW Wyoming to
          > > > S. California and back to SE Arizona from early September to late
          > > > December. I am living now in Tucson hiking and cycling around the area
          > > > till April when I will head out on my bike again. I have been a cycle
          > > > tourer since late 1982. I lived in Alaska two years from October 1977 to
          > > > December 1979. In June to September of 77 I hitchhiked 10,000 miles
          > > > around the US and went to Alaska afterwards to homestead but had to wait
          > > > for my name to come up on a waiting list which never happened in 2 years
          > > > so I left and went to the lifestyle I now lead biking around the country
          > > > and hiking too.
          > > > to make a home for when I finally retire in 8 years.

        • jeff
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
            Chris McCandless apparently didn't learn enough about your life since he never came back out of the wild. I hope that in 8 years you are only retiring from the labor force and not the adventure force. May the latter force always be with you.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
              Jeff -- I just love your play with words! -Joe

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                Had he read about the plants better he would have survived and not eaten the wrong ones.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                  Joe, Wordsmithing is and was hard work for me. Word play is fun, but alas, too much of it resulted in a year's end D, my senior year in English. 40 some years later, it weighs on me like a lifelong sentence.

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Braun" wrote:

                  > Jeff -- I just love your play with words! -Joe
                  >
                  > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Chris McCandless apparently didn't learn enough about your life since he never came back out of the wild. I hope that in 8 years you are only retiring from the labor force and not the adventure force. May the latter force always be with you.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "gcptsnaz" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Well, I need to settle down first, I move around so much that I don't have or want to take the time to start writting a book about my life. Forrest Gump and Into the Wild could both be said to be based on my life.

                • Glenn Ray
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 20, 2013
                    "...lifelong sentence." <-- I see what you did there!

                    Jeff, I don't know you outside the forum, but would be quite intrigued to hear some of your stories. Maybe you could just dictate a few in a digital recorder to get you started. I've got a small one that I could mail out there once you're settled for the summer.

                    I'm so glad I've kept travel journals. My wife, her mom, and I went on a 5300-mile trip to California in 2000 and we all wrote entries in a single journal. I cherish that book and the memories that it unlocks.

                    (...and yep, I sucked at English in high school, but really enjoyed it in college. Don't know what happened there!)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 20, 2013
                      I might be good for an occasional anecdote, but if it's stories that interest you, then Steve Ramras is your writer/reporter. Check out the following link:

                      http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/ram/tales.php

                      The Lost Lunch is my favorite.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Yep! Ram is the storyteller~!

                        I am sort of partial to the one in heaps with the dog.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
                          I have done a fun hike with Jeff and Jeff and Bo did the cross Zion hike. Jeff seems to always know what's up around Utah.  I too think Jeff could write a magnificent book!

                          Pictures from that hike