Re: Parunuweap Canyon - NRA boundaries

  • Cliff
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 16, 2012
      Interesting. I stopped at the back country desk today, and asked about the NRA areas. The ranger said that most NRA areas are mesa tops that are inaccessible anyway. The exceptions were Parunaweap and Goose Creek canyons. In other words, they are places that you really can't get to anyway
      Cliff

      > Hi Tom -- That NRA map is a cell-phone snap that I took of the map by the Visitors Center backcountry desk. And I could swear that the boundaries have changed slightly over the past decade. -joe
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for that Joe. What is the source for that?
      > >
      > > Tom
      > >
      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Braun" <joe@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just added "giffordNRAs.jpg" to the files section of this group. I'm pretty sure that the "Parunuweap Pass" hike went up the drainage east of Gifford and right through what is now a strange blobular-shaped NRA.

    • Glenn Ray
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 22, 2012
        Thank you. Check out my photo album here titled "Parunuweap Overlook" for some more photos.

        I'm going to stitch together a wide-view still panorama of the canyon from the overlook. I'll let y'all know when I post it.

        What kills me is that I didn't stop and look at my NatGeo map while I was there. If I had, I would have realized that I might have been able to view Labyrinth Falls from above. I was only about a quarter-mile west of them. Oh well, maybe next year!